Warn Barrel Hub Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the locking hubs on my 1971 FJ40 course spline axle ends. I have a donor set of Warn barrel hubs marked with an M84B on the knobs. The problem is the cylindrical barrel housing will not seat onto the factory hub. I believe the inside of the housing is a bit narrower than the diameter of the outer locking nut, and it hangs up about 3/16" before seating against the hub. In looking at my donor axle I took the hubs from, there is a collar and nut combo as opposed to the usual two locking nuts and tab washer. The collar has three hex pins screwed into it and two thrashed holes of unknown origin, and is a narrower diameter, which I believe was designed to allow the barrel housing to properly seat against the hub and install the clip. Any ideas on how to get the collar off so I can swap it over and get this thing buttoned up?

Attached are two pictures to demonstrate the clearance issue between the two-locking nut system and the nut and collar system. The first is the round collar I am trying to remove and reuse. The second shows the clearance issue between the inner diameter of the barrel housing and the diameter of the locking nuts.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and both axles are 1971 vintage. Jim
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG

Is the collar threaded on the inside? Maybe it screws off. When you put it back together, you could use a star washer on the one nut. I have a 71 manual (search IH8MUD) but I don't see that collar. Maybe it is a Warn part?

That collar is on lots of old axles. Like red stated remoe the collar there was at least one set screw holding it on and then it spins right off like a nut. I would try and ust use two nuts with a washer in between that you fold over to lock the nuts.

are those lockomatics i thinks those had a ring like that .you might need to make a tool to get the ring off sort of like the one used on a 4" style grinder but bigger or a couple pointed chisles in the holes and a pry bar to spin it off

are those lockomatics i thinks those had a ring like that .you might need to make a tool to get the ring off sort of like the one used on a 4" style grinder but bigger or a couple pointed chisles in the holes and a pry bar to spin it off
Once the set screws are loose I have either used a big set of channel locks to free it up and then it spins off with my fingers.

Lots of good replies here - thanks for the ideas. Since it is on the spindle I guess it is threaded and I will try spinning it around for removal. I will also check Warn parts availability - I know it is a Warn hub, but not which model. I should have this buttoned up in a day or two and will post up what worked. I was about ready to put gas in this 14 year delayed project and spark it off, but this hub dilemma surfaced and foiled my plans!

Thanks again. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom