WARN 8274 build and bumper for my 97' F350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for a classic winch bumper for my 97 f350 for awhile now so I can put in a 8274 upright.

Someone on FB marketplace had one, we agreed on a price and hit the rd for a 3hour tour. Bought it, got it home and cleaned her up, still looked good for a probably 20year old bumper..

Secured the top by drilling it and adding more SS bolts and custom bracing so the ends dont wobble.

Im in the process of finishing up the 8274 with the up graded Warn motor #70865 thats used on the 15K winches....I hope this is a good choice because Im not finding a lot of info on performance of this motor...they say its a bolt in but we will see....

Some pics of build....

This is just a test fit and 8274 fit just fine with little room to spare......this is why I didnt go with the warn XP 6hp motor, that end cap cooling fin would hit grill and I dont want to trim grill or grind on aluminum motor fin. Warn's #70865 doesnt have end cap cooling fin.

011.JPG

014.JPG

Custom fab bracket and drilled and added more SS bolts to secure top plate

017.JPG

020.JPG

Got the 8274 cleaned up and painted while waiting on the motor to arrive.

Welded a 3/8's bolt to secure winch brake with custom fab cap......it fits over the C-clip which is used as well...

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

Here's a mock up of the cap...I ended up using a different nut and washer on end so more threads showing.

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

Im using the sealed Superwinch solenoid #90-14452...and doing a mock fit to see if all is going to fit up with 1/0 ga 0 AWG wire....I want to use the stock cover and it looks like it fits with no room to spare....about a credit card space between inside cover and solenoid.

I had to trim the backing plate .... pic behind green wire.....I cut some to the far right but didnt need too...wire routing changed up..

For the solenoid cover to fit you have to cut a groove in plastic for the wires to fit down in... so there not hitting up against the solenoid...

I used RVT to keep wires in place and seal it up a bit but you dont have to... just my OCD ;)

002.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
Made a few changes to get the 1/0 AWG wires to fit....total overkill I know ;)....bought a new Warn 31887 solenoid base because of the better positioning of wires from solenoid to motor...did have to notch/cut for Power wire at top right....not a big deal though

The Warn solenoid cover fits with no problems for the original look ;) ;)

The cables I used are from "battery cables USA"...I buy bulk wire...I used there extreme battery cables which are approved for marine use...The insulation and jacket are a bit bulkier than your standard welding cable, its why the wires look so big.

002.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Beautiful and sanitary execution. I like the way you think.

Got it finished!

Wired it to bat and used a 500amp cut off switch....I keep it off till I need to use winch....pop the hood and switch to "on" and your good to go ;)

005.JPG

014.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

Very nice I have the same bumper set up for my 1991 fummins f 350 that I need restore. I think those pics will get me motivated.

Did you have to do some fabricating to get that bumper to fit. This is my set up I will be restoring.
81ADEB47-84CA-4927-8FD1-8680263A2E65.jpeg
A927FF4D-9D19-45AE-AC2E-E4DFC35003DD.jpeg

Awesome!..Very nice 91'..I like those years too ;)

That bumper you have looks like the correct one for your year....the bumper I have is for my year and wont really work for the earlier year Fords...

Here's a pic I got from a online photo of your set up you wanting to bolt up....

The best upgrade you can do to the 8274 is change out the motor to either a 6 hp 9.5XP Warn motor #68608 or go with the Warn #70865 thats off of a 15K Warn, which I just put on my F350 but no sure of the performance yet till I get my synthetic rope spooled up.

62347f6b879d_low_res_1987-ford-f250.jpg

I don't think my bumper will fit on my 1991. It came off of a 70's ford. It looks modular, I may have to do a little fabricating or get a buck stop bumper.

I don't think my bumper will fit on my 1991. It came off of a 70's ford. It looks modular, I may have to do a little fabricating or get a buck stop bumper.

Im wondering if you will have to make some custom mounting brackets to the frame?

Received my 130ft of 3/8's bulk cable, Amsteel dyneema, and I spliced the end (lock brummel with bury) with a blue-line 3/8 thimble, these are heavy duty thimbles that wont crush ;)

All spooled up and ready to go...

Added some 55W Halogen driving lights as well....

002.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom