Voyageurs Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok not really a 200-specific question, so mod feel free to move this if you want. But I know a few folks like @indycole have done a bunch of the national parks so I'm hoping someone on the forum has some solid advice.

Since Acadia was cancelled on us, I'm planning to hit the BWCA in Minnesota at the end of June. I'm thinking of spending a few days there and then heading over to Voyageurs National Park. We'll have the travel trailer, so I need to find a place which can handle an RV - thus all of the actual National Park campgrounds are out as they are tent-only (and the majority you have to canoe to anyway). There are 2 FCFS campgrounds, but given we'll be getting there the Tuesday or Wednesday before the July 4th weekend, I'm not sure if I want to arrive without a reservation. Similarly I'm having trouble finding FCFS dispersed camping that's reasonably nearby, though I may just be looking in the wrong places.

So, has anyone been there in the summer and have any recommendations on where to set up for the week? Are the FCFS sites likely to fill up, especially since so many people seem to be buying RVs this year? I'm sure I can find an RV park somewhere, but I really despise RV parks and we try to only use them as a last resort.

Might be a strange year for FCFS campsites. Here in Michigan the state forest campgrounds are opening up next week and the state park campgrounds the last week of this month. Both with limitations and restrictions. National forest and national park campgrounds are opening in stages, with some camping becoming available, but not all. I know there is huge pent-up demand for camping right now, since most facilities were closed on the big Memorial Day weekend and most of us start camping in early May. As much as you despise them, I would make a reservation at a private park and then see what the story for the state/federal camping locally when you arrive. It's better than a Walmart parking lot?

We based out of International Falls and I recall some potential places on the road out of IF toward the NE?

I can’t help too much in terms of camping.The lake itself is awesome so hopefully you can spend some time on it. Make sure you have some binoculars to check out the eagles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom