Vortec swap alternator generator battery control module (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, i've got a vortec swap (2005 lm7 5.3) in my 60, and noticed the shop that did the install did not wire in the Generator battery control module ( goes on the ground cable to the battery to measure current, so it can control the alternator output and increase or decrease accordingly for fuel mileage and faster batt recharge)

GBCM
gbcm_2d7f71a547461ffbb7822b0ae681a037d7c3d568.png

For the guys that have done the swap, did you guys keep the GBCM?

If the GBCM is not operating, the alternator defaults to a constant 13.8 Volts.
Is running at a constant 13.8 volts an issue? Is it enough to charge up the batts?

I'm also running a Dual Batt setup, and question if this is enough to charge the start and the house.

I've upgraded my alternator to a 250 Amp mechman , and the resting volts have gone from 13.7 to a 14.1 which is better, but i'm wondering if that's good enough or do i need to get the GBCM sensor working.

thanks in advance! and here's my video of installing the high outtput mechman alt.

did you guys keep the GBCM
I did... It's there to control alternator's output and it's longevity... (Not 100% sure if it monitors batt temp)

Is running at a constant 13.8 volts an issue? Is it enough to charge up the batts?
I'm also running a Dual Batt setup, and question if this is enough to charge the start and the house.
It probably will not be an issue for your main battery, but it might be for your Aux battery depending on what the total load on the battery is...
On my double set up.. charges on both batteries range from 13.8 VDC to 14.2 VDC.....

Over charging would probably be your battery worse rival....

I did... It's there to control alternator's output and it's longevity... (Not 100% sure if it monitors batt temp)

It probably will not be an issue for your main battery, but it might be for your Aux battery depending on what the total load on the battery is...
On my double set up.. charges on both batteries range from 13.8 VDC to 14.2 VDC.....

Over charging would probably be your battery worse rival....

Thanks for responding Manu!

did your wiring harness have the gbcm built in?

I had the factory wire harness reworked for the swap..... So the BCM was already there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom