voltage regulator wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Chasing electrical issues in my '78 FJ40.

I think this is a picture of my voltage regulator. Any idea what is supposed to be connected to that blue wire?

photo.JPG
photo.JPG

I think a capacitor (condensor) would normally be connected there and bolted to one of the mounting bolts, to reduce/eliminate RFI buzzing on your radio. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Any idea what is supposed to be connected to that blue wire?View attachment 741475

I think a capacitor (condensor) would normally be connected there and bolted to one of the mounting bolts, to reduce/eliminate RFI buzzing on your radio. I'll see if I can find a photo.

X2 Yes, for a capacitor.

Thanks guys - my cruiser has no radio installed so this is a non issue for me. Just trying to figure what is happening with my wiring. Last night I pulled out a mess of wires that was not connected to anything at one end in the cab and wrapped around a bolt on the fender under the hood.
You guys are a great resource - thanks for the help.

Blue wire

Could this be why my new cd player keeps kicking on and off? I have nothing connected to this wire. I ordered a new voltage reg and recieved one with 3 wires (plus blue wire) and my current one has 6. Not sure why mine is different, however i will need to get a different one from SOR.

Butch1979 said:
Could this be why my new cd player keeps kicking on and off? I have nothing connected to this wire. I ordered a new voltage reg and recieved one with 3 wires (plus blue wire) and my current one has 6. Not sure why mine is different, however i will need to get a different one from SOR.

Picture
image-3618170514.jpg

No, the blue wire for the capacitor is (was) for AM radios. It acted as a noise suppressor. On some radios you could hear the switching (regulating) from the Voltage Rugulator.

There are two reasons for modern equipment kicking on and off.
1. Intermittent power, bad contact, loose wire, etc.
2. Voltage in too high. More than 14.8 Volts. The CD player has an auto protect circuit to prevent damage.

You have the wrong Voltage Regulator. Why did you order a new one?

Rudi

EDIT: Never mind I saw your posting: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/719666-16-volts-alternator.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom