Voltage regulator adjustment.... who did it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bj40green

Tssss, tssss
Threads
Hi Mudders,

Did any of you adjust the Voltage Regulator output voltage?
My output is a bit low +/- 13.1 Volt and I want it up to 13.8 Volt.
I found 2 procedures in the FSM's to do this.
The first one is by adjusting the gaps. This procedure is from a (printed in 1972) FJ40 FSM.
DSC06155.JPG
The second one is by bending the arms. This is from a (printed in 1978) BJ40 FSM.
adjusting voltage regulator 2.jpg
I know, this for a 5 wire VR. Mine is a 3 wire as in the 1st pic.

This is how my VR looks.
DSC06151.JPG

When you look at the top where the spring is you notice that there is a strange bend in the spring. This looks different from both manuals. The pics in the manuals show a straight spring.
I think the PO has been fooling around with it, not knowing what he was doing.

Anyway, what I like to know is; How difficult or easy is it to do this adjustment and can you do this while the VR is on the fire wall or do I have to take the route to take out, make a little adjustment, put it in, check the voltage, if not ok take it out and so on, or shall I take the easy route and just by a new regulator?
If so what brand and part# do you suggest? I like to switch to a solid state one. If possible an adjustable one.

All suggestions and tips are welcome.

Thanks,

rudi
DSC06155.JPG
adjusting voltage regulator 2.jpg
DSC06151.JPG

I was never happy with my old regulator...
I went to a wagner solid state on my 69.
Check these 2 threads for more info on them.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/95862-solid-state-replacement-mech-voltage-regulator.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/427069-1969-voltage-regulator.html

Thanks, good info in both threads.

Somewhere in the 1st thread somebody said "I wish I could understand how a VR works"

I found a page in a FSM with an explanation. See pic.
vr operation.JPG

I also found a very good website to find a replacement VR.
Just type your OEM, Transpo or vendor code and you get a list of all possible replacements.
I selected OEM and typed (Toyota) 27700-60080 and this is what I got.
GOOD WAY Automobile Parts Co., Ltd.

I think I'm gonna do some shopping with the list in hand because here in Costa Rica we don't have stores like NAPA.

Rudi
vr operation.JPG

Thanks for the info Rudi.

Much as I
dislike contaminating an old classic with new-fangled electronics, I converted my regulator to solid-state because I believe solid-state regulators to be better for both "reliability" and "long-life".

Oh....And they don't make any sound at all whereas my electromechanical regulator used to make noisy clicking sounds on occasions.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info Rudi.

Much as I
dislike contaminating an old classic with new-fangled electronics, I converted my regulator to solid-state because I believe solid-state regulators to be better for both "reliability" and "long-life".

Oh....And they don't make any sound at all whereas my electromechanical regulator used to make noisy clicking sounds on occasions.

:cheers:

I've been searching all over for the VR settings and just now found them here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom