Visiting for Indy this May, what’s a must see? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never been anywhere near your part of the world, looking for suggestions of sights to take take in, will have a couple days either side of race day.

Cheers

Indy 500? Look for the gentleman sitting in the lawn chair next to the highway in jean cutoffs showing off his genitals to the traffic jam. Best thing I've seen in Indy...

Race wknd everything is crowded and busy. If you like music, see what band is at The Vogue in Broad Ripple. Downtown will be nuts but lots of nice restaurants and bars there. Circle Monument is cool for a quick walk around. If you want a true race weekend experience, night before the race, walk down 16th street out by the track. If it is anything like it was when I lived there, it’s a very long nutty block party. On that same theme, take a walk through the Coke field by the track day or night. Just ask anybody where it is. Be ready for epic traffic jams and some serious people watching. Racing, not so much.

If you want to be in the city theres all sorts of things to do and see. Many good restaurants etc. We have a great zoo and children’s museum. Indiana Historical Society is nice to visit. I’d stop and see Lucas Oil Stadium as it massive. Just walking around downtown is enjoyable. Generally a safe city. If you want to get away from town a little I suggest Eagle Creek Park. Closer to the track and plenty of nice hiking. It’s even fun just to drive around.

If you want to be in the city theres all sorts of things to do and see. Many good restaurants etc. We have a great zoo and children’s museum. Indiana Historical Society is nice to visit. I’d stop and see Lucas Oil Stadium as it massive. Just walking around downtown is enjoyable. Generally a safe city. If you want to get away from town a little I suggest Eagle Creek Park. Closer to the track and plenty of nice hiking. It’s even fun just to drive around.

X2 on all that!
My wife use to work at the zoo, great dolphin exhibit. Since my kids are grown I forgot about the Children's Museum but you don't really need to be a kid to enjoy it, it is world class. As far as museums, right downtown is the Eiteljorg Museum which is Native American and Western Art, I've enjoyed it and I'm not artsy.

X2 on all that!
My wife use to work at the zoo, great dolphin exhibit. Since my kids are grown I forgot about the Children's Museum but you don't really need to be a kid to enjoy it, it is world class. As far as museums, right downtown is the Eiteljorg Museum which is Native American and Western Art, I've enjoyed it and I'm not artsy.
Yes on the zoo! I would also recommend the Indiana State Museum which is right near the Eiteljorg. walking along the canal is always fun you can rent bikes. There used to be some gondolas down there but I don’t know if they are there anymore or not.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

We did manage to get drunk at 4 establishments on Broad Ripple, didn’t see much of downtown other than uber rude through. What I saw was very nice homes on generous lots, we stayed at vrbo N of town. Sat & Sun at the track were great.
D7BFF027-30B5-4618-AF2F-0F4F8D94C593.jpeg
278EE7C0-5882-44D0-884A-08BD60CFDF8F.jpeg
2DBFE688-5826-4659-9628-91930E216DD3.jpeg
BA399251-6F90-4680-9866-04B04DF0D5EE.jpeg

Premo seats for the race! You got spoiled your first visit, well done!
Did you happen to have an adult beverage at "Union Jack" in Broad Ripple?

Premo seats for the race! You got spoiled your first visit, well done!
Did you happen to have an adult beverage at "Union Jack" in Broad Ripple?
It’s a bit blurry after the pitchers of margaritas across the street, but yes I’m sure we tripped through there and the establishment far end of that block before crossing over and getting breadsticks, the whole experience we had been recommended :beer:

It’s a bit blurry after the pitchers of margaritas across the street, but yes I’m sure we tripped through there and the establishment far end of that block before crossing over and getting breadsticks, the whole experience we had been recommended :beer:

Not the whole experience... It doesn't sound like you saw the guy with road side meat market....

That area (Broad Ripple) has changed a lot but I tended bar at Union Jack in the 80's. Lots of memory's on those few blocks.

If you tended bar, I would go to that bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom