VHF/UHF Antenna Recommendations for Mobile (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow mud haters,

I've got a Icom IC-7100 coming down the pipeline and I'm looking for a VHF/UHF antenna to roof rack mount. I have an adapter to stow the antenna for low overhead environments so height is not a concern for me (I think and yallz might prove me wrong). Based off #13 comment in this post, I'm looking for a 5/8 wave antenna. I don't have a primary band I plan to use.

After reading all the posts, I am overwhelmed and was hoping for community input in buying my first antenna since I don't know the brands that well.

Sincerely,
-Name

Any antenna that is 40 inches long, aka half-wave length is good. This option does not require a ground, so good for a roof rack. 5/8 does require a "ground plane" aka counterpoise. Stick with the half wave. I run Diamond 770, and have for over 20 years, but I am going to replace it as the fold over function does work any more. It has had a fair amount of treee bashing and garage door bashing in its life.

Pick your color and connector type.

No one was responding. I went with a half-wave (Comet CA-2x4SRNMO) that is arriving tomorrow along with the NMO cable. Now I need to figure out how to integrate the antenna into my Front Runner roof rack. I don't want to waste a Front Runner stowing antenna mount on this antenna since the Comet antenna already has a stowing mechanism.

Advice on how to integrate my NMO into my Front Runner roof rack would be well received. I'm not afraid of prototyping and 3d printing a final mount out of metal if need be. =)

Kofoed,

Thank you for the replies.

With the antenna I bought an NMO/PL-258 cable (Comet CK-3NMO). I found the best way was to dremel parts of the NMO connector so that it could slide into the frame channel of my Frontrunner Outfitters roofrack. I have driven over 300 freeway miles in this configuration and everything is snug.

Now I wait for my radio to become available and ship. Need to figure out my electrical wiring. -_- I am using this HAM website as a guideline.

I'm also looking for HF antenna recommendations. I don't mind height and my preference is to be able to listen to CB and being able to tune into as many HF frequencies as possible.

In other news, I didn't realize that Comet has a spring for my antenna. I will be installing the spring (Comet CA-SPR) as soon as it arrives before my next adventure. The fold-over functionality of the antenna is glamorous and useful in drive-thrus.

Last edited:
Any updates/pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom