Very weird... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Usually around the house, sometimes in a tree or a
Okay so last night I leave work to go home and when I hit the switch I get nothing, just the usual dummie lights that come on on startup. Hmm thats weird, hit the switch again and nothing, no clicking, just acts like trying to start without being park/neutral. Again I hit the switch and now I get now I get even more nothing, Dummie lights go out, domes go dead. WTF. Pop the hood and look at the battery cables, no corrosion, try to move them back and forth, won't even budge. Hmmm. Get back in a hit the switch and it fires right up. WTF. Clock is back at 1:00 so the battery lost connection. Battery is new from the spring of 07. Started just fine this morning..

On a side note does anyone else have a issue with the tach, volt meter keeping time with the turn signals. When my blinkers are on the Volt meter and the tach needle keep the tick tock time. Is this Ok or is there maybe something going on in the background?

Could be the battery, but I'm thinking it could be the starter contacts, especially given the mileage on your rig.

I'm thinking battery. Bad starter contacts wouldn't cause the clock to reset. Some movement of the voltmeter with the signals is normal at idle, especially if you have other loads (lights, stereo, fan, etc). Never noticed tach movement, tho.

Get the battery tested first.

With my troopy, the voltmeter is all over the place when the turn signals are on. I guess that can be normal, but you may have a short in one of the battery cables causing the other stuff to happen.

Sounds more like a bad connection to me. Possibly a fusible link gone bad. Pull all the connections at the positive battery terminal apart, inspect them and clean them.

-Spike

So it happened again tonight, exact same thing. As soon as I touched the battery cables it starts right up. Drove over and picked up my daughter from Karate and starts right up. Gonna see if I can tighten the wing nut on top of the Bat cable, if not I may remove and make sure there is not some corrosion in those connections. What are all of those cables anyway?

Also, check the ground cables coming off the battery. '92 with 3FE, right?

If you aren't able to tell where the big ground cable goes, it goes down to the pass. side motor mount, under the A/C compressor.

Have you checked the nut behind the wheel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom