vehicle weight vs stock axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcustom73

Stretched it...
Threads
So I'm reading some old issues of Toyota Trails and something came to mind that I wanted run by all of you.

So my stretched 40 right now comes in at a weight of 5500lbs. This is with no driver and no gear. So after my last off roading adventure, I've decided a skidplate is needed to protect the t-cases and still would love to add a winch (already have 8274 in need of a rebuild) and the associated bumper. I've removed a few things that I've deemed unnecessary so I'm thinking by the time I'm done the 40 weight in at 5800lbs. Add a few passengers and gear for a weekend trip and I'll be tipping the scales at approx. 6400lbs (beefy).

GM 6.5 turbo diesel with all its torque around 1800-2000 rpm, NP203 - splitcase combo and the possibility of adding a detroit or aussie locker in the rear in the near future.

Is this just to much for a stock semi float rear and stock birfield up front? I don't intend of beating the 40 in the rocks or mud, but if I get on a trail where I don't have much choice (like last summer when I went with the guys in the club and found the trail that was easy the previous year, totally destroyed with no way of turning around), I want to make sure I don't grenade something...

Taughts...

I think you are getting to the limits of your stock axles, but you didn't say what size tires and gear ratios you are running. That has a lot to do with axle and birf carnage. I running 35's but planning on upgrading to a 37 to 40 inch tire. A Dana 60 FF rear is under construction right now. A Dana 60 front will go in next winter.

Running 33 and 3.7 Don't plan on going on anything bigger on tires because anything taller won't fit into the shop.

If you're easy on the skinny pedal and stay on easy to mild trails you should be fine.

Until you plan on getting more hard core or farther from civilization; or you get a smokkin' deal on some 80 or similar axles, I don't think the upgrade would be worth the cost.

I snapped both my rear axle shafts at the same time towing a Bronco up the easy part of Cadillac hill (right before the overlook). 35's and an auto in a FJ60 that was fairly loaded.

Breaks can happen anytime with any axle with enough power. If you are not locked up, it will help. Get some 30 spline axles for the front end if you have a locker.

For the rear I'd see if it works, then upgrade if you have any problems (14 bolt with 6 lug hubs and the long side shortened to the same length as the short side.

Redding and Mace, Thank you for the info. I was debating the locker. Made it through some pretty hard stuff without one last summer, so think I'm going to hold off for now. Maybe start looking for a 14 bolt and spend money there instead of putting money in the 40 axle and have it break on me. I don't tend to do hard trail (to nerve racking for me) but you never know what can happen. Think I'll build up the winch and if I things get sketchy, use it instead of the skinny pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom