valve cover+throttle body PM w/pics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Using Mobil 1 will make all those parts under there look suuuuuper clean. Also, while I had mine apart, I checked all the valve lashes. All were totally in spec at 150,000 miles. Amazing.

It's actually 12 ft lbs, as I just did this PM last week, but all you have to do is tighten them until there's contact, then use a pattern like torquing a cyclinder head to bring them all down evenly snug. You don't want to be breaking them. Unless you are using a very small 3/8's drive torque wrench, then I would asvise not torquing them with the 1/2" drive since I don't think they're as accurate due to the added extensions and such needed when doing the valve cover.

Actually, it's 12 N-m; that's 9 ft-lb. My 3/8" torque "officially" only goes to 10 ft-lb, but I set it to 9 and I was OK.

FWIW, I used the torque wrench to find out where the bolts would break loose: 14 lb-ft.

-KK

Could you post the part# and ballpark cost of the valve cover gasket? I'd like to do this sometime soon also. Thanks.

11213-66020

~$10 or so. Maybe even cheaper. I don't have the invoice program in front of me to get the MUD price.

-o-

It's actually 12 ft lbs, as I just did this PM last week, but all you have to do is tighten them until there's contact, then use a pattern like torquing a cyclinder head to bring them all down evenly snug. You don't want to be breaking them. Unless you are using a very small 3/8's drive torque wrench, then I would asvise not torquing them with the 1/2" drive since I don't think they're as accurate due to the added extensions and such needed when doing the valve cover.

x2

Brother Rob's got the method here.....

;)

Wow LX, that's almost as clean as mine!;) How did you get it looking like that? I'm almost embarrased to show mine.

IMHO, that's not clean. I agree with LX who has the monopoly on clean engines... :) This is clean:
PC160012.JPG
PC160013.JPG
PC160015.JPG

Last edited:
IMHO, that's not clean. I agree with LX who has the monopoly on clean engines... :) This is clean:

I am impressed. What do you use to get it this clean, or it is a new one?

Actually, it's 12 N-m; that's 9 ft-lb. My 3/8" torque "officially" only goes to 10 ft-lb, but I set it to 9 and I was OK.

FWIW, I used the torque wrench to find out where the bolts would break loose: 14 lb-ft.

-KK

Kurt--

Out of curiousity, I just went back to my FSM to find the torque spec, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought I got my numbers from the FSM, but I may have gotten them from some posts on here. Where did you find that number?

Rob

Beno, I think you may have missed the sarcasm hidden by the winking smiley. Yours is uber clean as well.
I just couldn't find the "magic" chemical to clean the bugger. I was primarily concerned with copious amount of oil I was losing.
BTW: the truck had Mobile1 run through it for the past 30k miles prior the the thread.

TK

Last edited:
Beno, I think you may have missed the sarcasm hidden by the winking smiley. Yours is uber clean as well.
I just couldn't find the "magic" chemical to clean the bugger. I was primarily concerned with copious amount of oil I was losing.
BTW: the truck had Mobile1 run through it for the past 30 miles prior the the thread.

TK

Sorry....slow on the uptake these days...

machine shop cleaned by the way.

i was going to say, that's not clean, that's new!

Kurt--

Out of curiousity, I just went back to my FSM to find the torque spec, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought I got my numbers from the FSM, but I may have gotten them from some posts on here. Where did you find that number?

Rob

Hi Rob-

I found it in the Cylinder Head Assembly section. That's EG-49 in my '96 LX FSM.

-KK

x2

Brother Rob's got the method here.....

;)

Hi Beno-

Here's the way my planets lined up on this job.

1) I'm an engineer. Yeah, I could probably stop here, but read on. :)
2) I recently read the sermon on torque wrenches by Robbie in the latest Toyota Trails. Good stuff.
3) I had two brand spanking new torque wrenches in my tool box that were begging to be exercised.
4) Storm was coming, the LX had to be put back together, and I just couldn't stand the thought of shearing off a bolt.
:cheers:

-KK

Hi Rob-

I found it in the Cylinder Head Assembly section. That's EG-49 in my '96 LX FSM.

-KK

Hmmm... My 1997 Toyota FSM doesn't have the torque spec listed in that section at all. I must've got my info from the board here. Nevertheless, thanks for responding. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom