vaccuum question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question about the vaccumm system. I have a 2H diesel so the vaccuum for the power brakes and clutch is supplied by the vaccuum pump on the rear of the alternator.
My question is it normal for the vaccuum to bleed off from the system when the engine sits for, say overnight.
In the morning when I go to start the engine and step on the clutch all the vaccuum has gone from the clutch as the clutch requires more effort to step on.
Also as the engine is running and supplying vaccuum to the system if I step on the clutch say 5-6 times real fast it (clutch pedal) starts to get harder to depress. Then if I wait a few seconds the vacuum I guess replenishes and all is normal again.
Is this normal? :confused:

diesel tech may help, but in the diesels i have had vacuum is created instantly once the engine starts. you may have a bad pump or leaks in the system!!

Yeah, you should post in the diesel section for answers from folks that actually have the vacuum pump. There should be a vacuum cannister and a check valve attached to the cannister. I would expect that this would/should hold vacuum overnight. If it's not doing that, then you could have a leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom