Urgent - Electrical Assistance Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1981 BJ42 Diesel with a 24 volt system. While replacing fuses I accidentally touched the fuse box metal fuse clip to the door frame with a screwdriver.

After my mis-hap I still get lights but nothing else.

If anyone has ever experienced this please reply.

Thank you in advance

Can you see blown fuses? Did you have any smoke or smell burning? Those are good indicators of the location of your most immediate problems.

Do you have a wiring diagram or repair manual for your truck? That would help in tracking down the locations of protective devices in the system.

You made a short circuit that has possibly tripped any circuit breakers, blew any fuses, and/or burnt any fusible links installed in your truck's electrical system. You'll need to proceed logically circuit by circuit until you've found the problem(s).

A thing like this can be confusing and is surely alarming but you're working with an automotive electrical system that happens to use 24 volts. The voltage itself should not deter you.

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I have found no blown fuses (even the metal clips that hold the fuse when I touch the metal to metal is still intact).
Unfortunately the only indicator was a spark at the door panel where the screwdriver touched. After that I had no clicking sound when I turned the ignition key on and after that only the head light switch could be turned on.
The truck is new to me and unfortunately I do not have manuals for this vehicle.

If you didn't notice the diesel focused forum: Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems

you can probably get the best help there. In particular look at the FAQ sections at the top as they may well have the wiring diagrams for your year model.

BTW, Welcome to the forums, and as a tradition: :flipoff2:

If you didn't notice the diesel focused forum: Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems

you can probably get the best help there. In particular look at the FAQ sections at the top as they may well have the wiring diagrams for your year model.

BTW, Welcome to the forums, and as a tradition: :flipoff2:

I second that, the diesel forum will be your best place for help. The 24V system on your truck is unique to the BJ42 and experience is key when it comes to troubleshooting electrical problems for these trucks. Fusible link is my first guess, but others with more knowledge will be able to help even better.

Good luck David.

coolerman caries the fusible link if you need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom