Update on Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the tub is finally fully stripped, undercoated, and body filled. We actually only used about 1.5 gallons of bondo on the tub. To prevent any future rust, we seem sealed all the body lines on the underside of the tub. We then used self etching primer (two coats) on the entire bottom and finished it off with 3 coats of underbody spay. IT came out very, very nice. I elected to use standard underbody spay because I didn't want to waste expensive paint, plust in the long run, it's very easy to touch up.

On Firday, the tub will be primed with self etching primer, then wet sanded and primed with regular primer, then wet sanded again. We expect to have the tub mounted to the rolling chassie by early next week. Then it's on to the other body pannels.

Once everything is primed I'm going to have the full roll cage (metal tech) put together. Should have the cage built within a week.

Once that's done, we'll jamb the entire truck, put it together and spray the whole thing with the first coat of paint. I'll be painting it with a Mazda Rust Color that came out on the most recent RX8's. It's a sharp color.

Today I just got the entire steering assembally in from BTB ; all relay rods, tie rod ends, steering column, and steering shaft and u-joints. I'm really impressed with the set -up. It seema to be much, much stouter than stock!

Finally, I would post progress pics, but I don't have pay pal to buy a star. So suggestions on setting it up would be appreciated.

Later,

UNO.

Pro,

Yes 1.5 Gallons is a lot of bondo, ummm, body filler, but most of it was sanded off. YOu have to use a lot to get a good finished product. The paint I'm using is metalic, so you want the body as smooth as possible. It's a real pain the the arce, but it's been fun. I'm glad the body guys are allowing me to pay them to work on my own truck. It's been a fun experience. Plus I got some good skill sets that I didn't have before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom