Unichip or custom reflash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so i need knowledgable people to way in here. When i get to tuning my car to suit the intake and exhaust and few other bits ive nailed down to two choices.

1. Is the custom dyno tune by a reputable company here thats builds complete project cars. He is just currently waiting for hp tuners to release their fj software. Now this is by far cheaper then a unichip but my concern is he said tuning it for standard unleaded (91) here is possible but probably not worth the money as they can only advance timing so far. If he tunes my car to run on 95 octane id have a decent increase but i have to run minimum 95 and here in aus the further you go bush the harder premium is to find etc etc.

Option 2 is a unichip, now before you say chips are useless, unichip is the brand name. They are actually fully programable by authorised dealers with a dyno, the best quote i had for this option is from a company here who have been a unichip dealer for a long time and done a few fjs, he told me as the unichip is an interceptor unit they dont adjust anything on the ecu its self the car will still run safely on 91 fuel if needed as factory knock sensors are operating the way they were originally. The downsides are cost (nearly 1000aud more), no abillity to adjust transmission shift points, cannot adjust the vvti set up and of course the dealer can use it as an excuse for problems

In my experience chipping/tuning works 100% in other applications. For example I put a Steve Wong chip in my 1986 911 Carrera and it is night and day difference. It was nice to tune it for 91 octane gas and for the exhaust setup I had. I personally don't know anything about FJ cruisers and chipping. If anything I'd be trying to tune it for the cheapest gas possible (87 octane here on the east coast of the U.S.)

I'd also have to see the price verse gain. Steve Wong chips are like $495 now (I don't think I paid that much), but I'd still do it at that price. I don't think I'd drop $1000. Personally I wouldn't tune for 95 octane on a FJ cruiser, but it all depends on if your car is a toy or a daily driver and what you want to gain out of it.

The fuel economy difference between 91 and 95 is around 100km to the tank, the manual also states its recomended to run on premiun.

A custom reflash is 1300 a unichip is 2200

Got another quote on unichip from their main dealer in wa here, 1880 for multimap, bringing that back into the game but the hp tuner is apparently able to tune the vvti and shift points in auto, two things the unichip cant do

if i could get this result out of my exhaust, airaid intake and unichip id be pretty well set on it

In my experience chipping/tuning works 100% in other applications. For example I put a Steve Wong chip in my 1986 911 Carrera and it is night and day difference. It was nice to tune it for 91 octane gas and for the exhaust setup I had. I personally don't know anything about FJ cruisers and chipping. If anything I'd be trying to tune it for the cheapest gas possible (87 octane here on the east coast of the U.S.)

I'd also have to see the price verse gain. Steve Wong chips are like $495 now (I don't think I paid that much), but I'd still do it at that price. I don't think I'd drop $1000. Personally I wouldn't tune for 95 octane on a FJ cruiser, but it all depends on if your car is a toy or a daily driver and what you want to gain out of it.
Hi mate just out of curiosity, do you know if that i was to get a custom reflash/remap for 95 octane (our mid range fuel) and told the tuner to leave the knock sensors functioning as standard, if they would still retard timing back enoufh if they picked up a lower octane fuel

Ye im not after "a chip" the unichip i mentioned is a piggyback/interceptor ecu, it requires custom tuning on a dyno after its wired in.

If i can get confirmation that the knocj sensors will still work when the e u is tuned to 95 octane i will just get the ecu retuned as its a good chunk cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom