Undercarriage Treatments in the Northeast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thenative1

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Threads
83
Messages
307
Location
Westchester, NY
Anyone have success with undercarriage treatments in the Northeast? I’ve run across several (Fluid Film, Krown, NHOU) but have no experience/applications with any of them.

Thanks for any insights you have!
 
Anyone have success with undercarriage treatments in the Northeast? I’ve run across several (Fluid Film, Krown, NHOU) but have no experience/applications with any of them.

Thanks for any insights you have!
My '89 62 had been originally aggressively treated and undercoated all throughout. It was still a completely rotten mess by the time I got it in 2011, and by the paperwork I had received with it, it started having severe rust issues and failing inspection starting in ~'07-08 or so.

One major issue is that these trucks have a boxed frame. It makes it extremely difficult to:

1) Clean and prep the interior of the frame for treatment. Any surface treatment, be it paint or fluid film, or whatever, requires the surface to be clean.
2) Apply whatever product you want
3) Keep salt and mud out of the frame

If you must drive it in the snow, I recommend you invest in some method that will allow you to thoroughly coat the inside of the frame rails.

My (unfortunate) recommendation is to simply not drive it if there's salt on the road. That is the plan for my 62 now that it's been largely de-rusted.
 
Flood every cavity with FluidFilm.

I use nothing else. Doesn't emit hazzardous fumes (smells funny when fresh though) and stays active. Downside is - it needs to be renewed every year. Especially on the outside, where it gets washed away. Comes in different viscositys, the closer to splashing water, the thicker it should be.

I've also invested in some plugs to close up the cutouts in the frame in the wheel well areas.
 
Thanks all! Does fluid film make it difficult/messy to work on the car? I’ve had to do/fix/replace a number of things under the car and from the pictures of fluid film - and the generally positive reviews - the only downside I can see is that the film might (?) make accessing bolts/parts particularly sloppy.
 
Professional Krown treatment is the answer. Below is my 2007 LX470 with almost 360k miles. Driven year round in New England, parked outside, and never washed. Zero rust.

1790093988083.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom