Underbody Rust Protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a low mileage 2008 Sequioa. She will be doing some beach and muddy road off road driving so I am looking for options to preserve the undercarriage. Some of the fisherman with beach rigs on the Northeast use Fluid Film, not too many people are using underbody paint. What are you guys using for underbody rust protection?

Lots of discussion recently. Absolutely do not use anything called or looking like "rubberized." If it's paint use a high quality rust proofing paint like POR15 or Eastwood Chassis Saver (I think) with the proper prep. If you're just looking to keep rust at bay oily films like Fluid Film, chainsaw bar and chain oil, etc applied at some frequency work for most people including me.

Lots of discussion recently. Absolutely do not use anything called or looking like "rubberized." If it's paint use a high quality rust proofing paint like POR15 or Eastwood Chassis Saver (I think) with the proper prep. If you're just looking to keep rust at bay oily films like Fluid Film, chainsaw bar and chain oil, etc applied at some frequency work for most people including me.

How often are you applying the fluid film? What is it costing you approximately per application?

I don't use Fluid Film for entire vehicles. I keep spray cans on hand for spot treatment when I see they're needed. And I have multiple vehicles and Fluid Film would get very expensive. I have settled on Mustie1's method. Bar and chain oil, heated up with a wax toilet bowl sealing ring melted into the hot oil. In my opinion this method is superior.

The combination of bar oil and the sticky wax sealing ring is amazing. Being hot when you apply it allows it to soak in, then it cools and gets thick so it doesn't run out.

Taco Frame.jpg

This is my 2003 Tacoma that has lived in northern Ohio salt for 17 years. The skid plate was fabbed and painted with POR15 about 6 years ago so doesn't need oiling. On my daily driver car I usually oil every year as road splash will wash the oil off (tho not as fast as it will wash fluid film). Non-daily drivers like the Tacoma every other year usually depending.

I am using a thinner mix of mineral spirits, paraffin wax and 30wt oil.
I think the toilet bowl wax dissolves better tho'.
I heat the mix in a hot water bath just before applying .
My suction/siphon spray gun makes the stuff into an aim-able cloud.

The thicker stuff is sold commercially as "cavity wax".
I keep this stuff on hand for inside frame rails, etc.
Rusfre

That's 100% better than nothing. You can see how that goes and adjust. Key is getting underneath the truck and seeing what it looks like after winter.

That's 100% better than nothing. You can see how that goes and adjust. Key is getting underneath the truck and seeing what it looks like after winter.

Winter and summer. The salt on the roads in the winter and the beach in the summer. This truck came from Florida, for a 2008 it his minimal rust. It has been in NY for a number of years so it does have some.

I will do some research on Woolwax, may give this a try instead of the Fluid Film. This stuff seems thicker.

Why not use the 'spray on bedliner" products or the "rubberized undercoating"?
Does that not prevent water intrusion onto the body metal?

Those products do work but the fear is rocks or something will cause chunks to fall off. Then the water could get in behind the undercoating and start the rot unseen.

Oil, WoolWax, FluidFilm displace water. Spray on hardening coatings trap the water in and help it do it's job turning your rig to dust. Water will eventually get underneath any hard coating.

Why not use the 'spray on bedliner" products or the "rubberized undercoating"?
Does that not prevent water intrusion onto the body metal?

I have been told by many to stay away from hard bed liner type coatings for under body protection unless you have a brand new vehicle with absolutely no rust. One spec of rust will fester from underneath the coating, eat away at the metal and flake off.

I heard an option is Ceramic Pro STRONG

Anyone use or hear of it?

We use lindseed oil/kerosene. Dries to a hard crust after soaking in.

Some discussion in the General Tech section

You might want to look at Corroseal first, if you want to paint.

We use lindseed oil/kerosene. Dries to a hard crust after soaking in.

Some discussion in the General Tech section

You might want to look at Corroseal first, if you want to paint.
What’s the ratio of each? Sounds like a cheap option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom