Under hood Air Compressor Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JFin

SILVER Star
Threads
Evening Folks. Quick question regarding on board air compressors. I’m deciding between under the hood or a portable version and leaning towards under hood because I want to preserve as much space as possible. GX470 seems to have space when I ditch the plastic engine covers. Doing some research now on brand and type, ARB, VIAIR, PUMA, etc. use for pumping tires back up, possibly added air locker(not decided on rear diff lock yet) ability to assist members with air when needed and prefer not wait half a day to get pressure back up. Tires are 32” BFG KO2 ATs. If there is experience or lessons learned, I’m all ears and willing to learn, especially with amount and level of experience in this club. Appreciate you taking the time to teach me something.

I've got a friend of a friend of my cousin who can get you one of these for real cheap. Light weight and easy to maintain. No worries about running wires, relays, switches and all that fancy stuff. Plus you can even air up if your battery dies. I keep two in my bug out/zombie chickens apocalypse bag.

I'm pretty sure I can rig up an underhood mount for you. I'll look through my drawer of stuff to see if I can find some zip ties and bailing wire.

Seriosly though, I have a Puma and no experience with other compressors other than the first cheap AutoZone one that I purchased. It would take me an hour to air up 33's, really.

I hear and see good things about the ARB dual compressor setup. Runs like $550 so it's kind of up there in price.

The absolute best compressor I have seen is made by Extreme Aire . @elripster has one. They run 350-600.
Other than that you can get a viair portable for about 70$ that is "ok".

ARB Twin

I've got a friend of a friend of my cousin who can get you one of these for real cheap. Light weight and easy to maintain. No worries about running wires, relays, switches and all that fancy stuff. Plus you can even air up if your battery dies. I keep two in my bug out/zombie chickens apocalypse bag.

I'm pretty sure I can rig up an underhood mount for you. I'll look through my drawer of stuff to see if I can find some zip ties and bailing wire.

View attachment 1909004
It works best if someone has a banjo, just say'n

I have a Viair with a 2.5 gallon tank. Works fine but way slower than @elripster version he has...cost about the same but slightly less room.

Genuinely appreciate the advice folks! I’ll look into the banjo @RET2 lol. @flyingmonkey i don’t think my calves would make it with the first recommendation. Haha.

I got both of mine (60 an d 80) from Valley Hybrids. George will get you the harness and other goodies too.

I have the ARB middle level compressor (I think they offer 3). I can air my 34's in a few minutes each. The compressor fits easily under the hood. Price was around $250 with the hose kit.

The trade off is....I can't run air tools with it.

I have the ARB middle level compressor (I think they offer 3). I can air my 34's in a few minutes each. The compressor fits easily under the hood. Price was around $250 with the hose kit.

The trade off is....I can't run air tools with it.
Thank you for taking the time to let me know @SocalLCruiser. I don’t plan on running air tools since I have batteries already without having to rebuy a new set of tools. I think that should suffice for both airing tires and having the option to add an air locker if that is the path I head down. Thanks again, I appreciate your input. It seems like an endless list of to-do for mods but I’m chipping away at getting the GX to be sufficient without trying to ask someone to air my tires, or having to be overly careful. Sliders are on, shin guards are ready for install and my skid plates arrived as well so a compressor will at least allow me to go on runs without being a drain on anyone. Again, appreciate you taking the time to let me know, I think I know which model you’re talking about, I’ll look back at what I’ve researched and probably talk to a few folks about places to get the materials like @elripster suggested at the meeting this week. Thank you! 👍

Thank you for taking the time to let me know @SocalLCruiser. I don’t plan on running air tools since I have batteries already without having to rebuy a new set of tools. I think that should suffice for both airing tires and having the option to add an air locker if that is the path I head down. Thanks again, I appreciate your input. It seems like an endless list of to-do for mods but I’m chipping away at getting the GX to be sufficient without trying to ask someone to air my tires, or having to be overly careful. Sliders are on, shin guards are ready for install and my skid plates arrived as well so a compressor will at least allow me to go on runs without being a drain on anyone. Again, appreciate you taking the time to let me know, I think I know which model you’re talking about, I’ll look back at what I’ve researched and probably talk to a few folks about places to get the materials like @elripster suggested at the meeting this week. Thank you! 👍

So is that a no on the above pump that I recommended?

Let me know when you plan on throwing those skid plates on.

You certainly wouldn't be a drain if you needed some air. If we all waited till our rigs were totally built to go on a run the runs would have far fewer participants. IMHO air tools are dinosaurs, the advances in battery powered tools have changed the landscape drastically. Looking forward to meeting you Tuesday night if you make it.

Yep, the puma is a beast, but it does take up a lot of space and is best kept in the truck due to the air filter. If I didn’t already have the puma I’d probably have gone with the dual ARB.

You certainly wouldn't be a drain if you needed some air. If we all waited till our rigs were totally built to go on a run the runs would have far fewer participants. IMHO air tools are dinosaurs, the advances in battery powered tools have changed the landscape drastically. Looking forward to meeting you Tuesday night if you make it.
I’ll be there. I’ll see you there! Yeah, I’m kicking the air tool thing around but again batteries seem to solve some issues. Once I get an air compressor, than I can share and help as well, just like they did on my first run, so looking to pass the assistance forward.

So is that a no on the above pump that I recommended?

Let me know when you plan on throwing those skid plates on.
Hey @flyingmonkey the first recommendation is out, my calves wouldn’t hold up! I see recurring dual ARB recommendations as well as a Puma, Viair and Extreme air and I see one @leucadiacruiser just put up to take a gander at. Thought about getting a tank to put where the spare goes as well.

I’m going to coat the ARB skids, and I can put them on anytime.

As for your work you want to do, the only time I can’t help is the 9th cuz we’re having a combined party for the girls. Maybe the 10th? Or the following weekend...I mean I’m pure labor since I’m fresh outta knowledge on doing what you want to do, but I can turn wrenches and help with some of the other things you want to lash up on your rig. At least to return the favor of helping me put the sliders on. If it doesn’t go the 9th, I can help, the Vets Run doesn’t go until the 23rd. So I can make a weekend and I can help knock stuff out on your to-do list for your rig.

Another thing to consider in your search is a build it yourself CO2 bottle or a Powertank. It's cheaper than an ARB Twin and the fastest way to fill up. I currently run a CO2 tank for my LC100 and I'm honestly now sure if I will move to another ARB Twin yet or not. I got a CO2 tank from a beer supply store and I have the wheelers offroad regulator with goodyear hose and its been going on 6 seasons now with no issues. Just something to consider...

I'm gonna try to make my first meeting tomorrow. I'll be with my 4 year old son. Is the meeting kid friendly?

Another thing to consider in your search is a build it yourself CO2 bottle or a Powertank. It's cheaper than an ARB Twin and the fastest way to fill up. I currently run a CO2 tank for my LC100 and I'm honestly now sure if I will move to another ARB Twin yet or not. I got a CO2 tank from a beer supply store and I have the wheelers offroad regulator with goodyear hose and its been going on 6 seasons now with no issues. Just something to consider...

I'm gonna try to make my first meeting tomorrow. I'll be with my 4 year old son. Is the meeting kid friendly?
That’s a good point about the CO2 bottle. Kids...yep. This club is family friendly. Folks bring spouses and last meeting our Vice President brought his children. This club is Awrsome and these folks are top shelf...across the board. See you at the meeting. If you get some food, remember to let them know know you’re with Beach n Toys as they add up sales and allow us to use the room for our monthly meetings. Take Care!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom