Type T-IV ATF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dealer wont even change the fluid in an 04, they say it is life long. So after you slip the Lead tech $50 he is able to find the drain and fill nuts. Go figure.

BMW used to have life long ATF fluid, the only problem is that you would have to change the transmission at 60-80k. Is toyota going down the same path!??

They certainly did with the front wheel bearings on the Prado/4Runner/FJC/GX. Instead of the repackable inner/outer needle bearings, they now use a pressed in sealed bearing. You replace the entire unit (bearing and the thing it's pressed into). They got rid of the 30K repack intervals, so on paper, there's less maintenance for the first 90K mi or so, but after that, you need to replace the entire bearing unit. Anyone know how the 200 is constructed?

From what I hear my 99 lx requires a dexron III ATF for both ATF and power steering fluid. I just bought this from mobil one. Nowhere on the jug does it say it's compatible with our trucks. Called the number on the back and they said it will be fine ( after looking into it).

I obviously want to be 100% sure. It is called:
Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

On the back it says:

"mobil one synthetic ATF is a synthetic auto transmission fluid recomended for use in older ford and gm vehicles, and for auto transmissions, power steering systems, torque converters and hydrolic systems"

am I safe puttin this stuff in? It's a 1999 lx470. Any help is greatly appreciated!

From what I hear my 99 lx requires a dexron III ATF for both ATF and power steering fluid.

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF

am I safe puttin this stuff in? It's a 1999 lx470. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's good stuff! The Mobil 1 is basically the ideal fluid for your truck.

For those with transmissions using the WS, reports on BITOG indicate that it is not holding up very well with long intervals. If my trans ran WS I would look at doing standard transmission fluid change intervals rather than the extended ones recommended by Toyota. I would fill with Amsoil ATL or Redline D6.

Last edited:
I came across this thread today as I was implementing the tranny fluid exchange program suggested by this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/356884-tranny-drain-fill-percent-new-fluid.html

My questions is tranny fluid type. The manual calls for basic Dexron II or III for my 2000. So I purchased the cheap DII/III stuff at Advanced Auto Parts. Now wondering if I should have purchased something better, that is more expensive?

Is there any value in using something other than the basic DII/III stuff for a 2000?

I have a related question, if I have a 99 will doing a drain and fill with mobil one cause any compatibility problems with the old fluid that is still in there, mixing a synthetic with a non?

Thanks

Is there any value in using something other than the basic DII/III stuff for a 2000?

Is there a difference between your 100 and a Ford Explorer ? 4 doors and four wheel drive. :hmm:

Lots of us are over picky about the fluids because they are easy to change, there are lots of choices, cheap and it is almost impossible to tell how well they are really performing. That way we get to all advocate for our favorites and no one can really say we're wrong.

I (and others) like to go with what we believe to be a higher quality fluid in the transmission for the following reasons.
- It has a long service life.
- You can't get it all out at once easily.
- Transmissions are expensive.
- They operate by magic and you don't want them angry at you.

OTOH...
- Your fluid meets the required spec.
- It is probably better than what was factory fill.
- The 343A in the 100 appears to be easy on fluid.
- I've seen no reports of a fluid related trans failure in a 100 on the board. (The 2000s seem to grenade with beautiful blood red fluid in them.)

I have a related question, if I have a 99 will doing a drain and fill with mobil one cause any compatibility problems with the old fluid that is still in there, mixing a synthetic with a non?

No, It is designed to be 100% compatible. Mobil 1 is a good fluid with a good track record in these trucks.

Does the 2001 LC require the Mobile 1 synthetic ATF or the Mobile 3309? Also which one for power steering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom