turbo toyota truck??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are saying that I *could* find a solid axle truck with a turbo in 1985?

No, I have a Jan 85 and its IFS, my reasoning behind this is that like power windows/ locks/ TURBO.....the IFS cush ride was included in the upgrade.

OFFICIALLY ALL trucks/ SUV's regardless of options went to IFS in 86 these trucks/ SUV's are more common and why I believe its the rule used today. Its doesn't roll of the tongue when you have to say except and then name a rare truck every time youre discussing models

Last edited:
Yup like you guys have said its harder to find now but i lucked out and picked up my 86' turbo 4runner for 600 dollars with only 130k miles on it. believe it or not that was all i paiud, and its running no problems or anything. ive done a LITTLE research on it and yeah other than a few modifications its pretty much the same as the regular 22re's. i think the most exciting part is that its just alot more responsive to all those little tuneups you can give it. by simply putting a better turbo on it (ive found a few pre fabbed kits specifically for it). some bigger fuel injectors, maybe a nice exhuast setup and whatnot and there is a huge gain in horsepower. one site i read that listed the mods( which werent very many nor TOO expensive) and it was dyno tested at around 350? horsepower... i was amazed. its something of what i hope to do. ill look around some more and see what i can find out. i work at a toyota dealership so i have insider help as well, cant always trust those internets! haha.

J

I grabbed my 87 turbo for 1k... blew HG 600 miles later ... Got the turbo bug and started building. 210 reliable HP later and next weekend moving the drivetrain to my 85 wheeler. I have an electronic boost control i picked up on ebay that keeps it at 8psi normally (around 160 HP/26mpg) then flip the switch to out run or tug up a hill with a trailer with 11psi. I have the injectors replaced with Supra injectors and a Megasquirt computer that can take the boost to 14/15 and 200hp+... just don't like stopping at the pump with these gas prices. The garrett T3 upgrade was a little more expensive than the CT-26 (the 26 on requires a little enlarging on bolt holes for the manifold match and larger exhaust) but it allows for more tuning and that louder whistle we all like to hear!!

The manifolds on ebay you may have been talking about are from Leen Steed?? Steed Speed - Home. He has a couple of older versions left which is what I purchased for $400 shipped. Since I wasn't going for complete race machine I didn't see the differences in the newer model being worth 350$ more. The LC engineering CC'd manifolds are made by Leen if I can remember correctly.

Back in the day, I looked at a pristine '86 turbo for $5000. I thought it was over-priced. I wish it were around for that price today.

I grabbed my 87 turbo for 1k... blew HG 600 miles later ... Got the turbo bug and started building. 210 reliable HP later and next weekend moving the drivetrain to my 85 wheeler. I have an electronic boost control i picked up on ebay that keeps it at 8psi normally (around 160 HP/26mpg) then flip the switch to out run or tug up a hill with a trailer with 11psi. I have the injectors replaced with Supra injectors and a Megasquirt computer that can take the boost to 14/15 and 200hp+... just don't like stopping at the pump with these gas prices. The garrett T3 upgrade was a little more expensive than the CT-26 (the 26 on requires a little enlarging on bolt holes for the manifold match and larger exhaust) but it allows for more tuning and that louder whistle we all like to hear!!

The manifolds on ebay you may have been talking about are from Leen Steed?? Steed Speed - Home. He has a couple of older versions left which is what I purchased for $400 shipped. Since I wasn't going for complete race machine I didn't see the differences in the newer model being worth 350$ more. The LC engineering CC'd manifolds are made by Leen if I can remember correctly.

How bout backing that up!

............with a thread :flipoff2:

You got a lot to share and its hard to grasp for just one post. And I, for one, would like to see your truck in a build thread.

Mine is a 3yr basket case that the last thing I need to do, something goes wrong with it.....Or I'd do it..

LETS SEE IT :cool:

We would run the T100 V6 "R" trans in our "stock mini" desert truck - SR5. Just switch the input shaft and bell housing with the turbo parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom