tune up questions, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been neglecting some basics and not running it as much as I should. 72 1.5F with holly carb,
getting back to the spring tune up, i ve been running a car quest oil filter, and rotella oil, and what ever the parts guy at carquest suggests for plugs and wires,
i was thinking of upgrading this time, is there a general favored combo, plugs wires, cap, or should i get a new "dizzy"

You can measure resistance with a multimeter to see if you need wires. See if your distributor is good or not (rust and worn bushings on the centrifugal advance); check the dwell, or assume some wear and close the points a bit. Or go with a electronic ignition retrofit. The Holley carb should be tuned to the Land Cruiser motor, and rarely are aftermarket carbs taken to that level. Take good photos of your existing plugs and share them so we can all 'read' the status of your combustion. I'm assuming that you don't have vacuum advance on the distributor?

You can measure resistance with a multimeter to see if you need wires. See if your distributor is good or not (rust and worn bushings on the centrifugal advance); check the dwell, or assume some wear and close the points a bit. Or go with a electronic ignition retrofit. The Holley carb should be tuned to the Land Cruiser motor, and rarely are aftermarket carbs taken to that level. Take good photos of your existing plugs and share them so we can all 'read' the status of your combustion. I'm assuming that you don't have vacuum advance on the distributor?
As far as I know it's a stock distributor. That does have vacuum advance, no?

Likely not, unless it is a non-USA model. If the vac barb is on the outside of the diaphragm, it is advance; if it is on the inside of the diaphragm, closest to the distributor, it is retard. What is a '72 1.5F? Sometimes, they refer to the '74 as a 1.5F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom