1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tub Swap

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by amos715, Mar 2, 2007.

1. amos715

amos715

Media:
    Albums:
    OK one more question........ OK probably more than one

My current cowling is in really good shape so when i swap my tub i will probably cut it off at the rocker panels? yes that's a question

would a tub swap be easier to just remove the cowling from the newer tub first, and just swap out from the floor pans back?

and if so what is the best way to keep from damaging the cowling and rocker panels, should i just cut the weld with a grinder?

2. spotcruiser

spotcruiser Geezer SILVER Star

I swapped the rear tub of a '78 with the rusted out part of my '76. Worked great. I grafted them at the seam behind/below the "A" pillar. You want to cut on the waste-side of each piece and then clean up to the part that you want to re-use. You can drill out spotwelds and then use the holes to reattach the parts you put back together. The floors are just spot welded at the A-piller, so just find the spot welds and drill them out

3. Toyo FJ40

Toyo FJ40

Media:
    Albums:
    I cut my cowl off at the door jam and across the floor just behind the front tub body mount, There is a couple of spot welds and a weld at the top of the rocker panel. Theres one bolt on each side which makes it nice to reassemble. You can bolt it together and get it lined up before you weld it. I cut it with a cutting wheel in a angle grinder about 2 inches more than I wanted and trimed it back to the body seam at the door post. I let the floor over lap about a half an inch and welded it back together. Just make sure your door openings are square before you weld it.

Kevin

4. F-junker

F-junker

I wish my PO checked for squareness on my drivers door jam... F%$^& Butthole!!! Oh well, I've been eyeing up on of those pretty all aluminum babies! Now all I need is another 8000 bucks and a matkins frame!

5. amos715

amos715

Media:
    Albums:
    i have tried to call the Matkins frame people like 10 times and i never get anybody.
    any ideas?

And thanks on the tub questions, i will mostly be doing this by myself, so i am trying to find out the easiest route.