Tub Removal ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I recently purchased a 73 FJ40 that the PO allegedly performed a frame-off resto on approx 3 years ago. The paint looks good but has plenty of rust coming through it. Under neath it appears the tub was sand/bead blasted but that was it. The paint is flaking and it's back to bare metal, no primer or anything. so what I hope to do is pull the front fenders, aprons, hood etc and sand blast them and repaint and then the tub.
So, My questions are.... After sand blasting the parts and repairing any rust issues, what product would you prep the metal with, what type/ brand of primer would you use and lastly paint type and brand. I know nothing of body and paint work, the work performed on my other 40's was contracted out and I think I'd like to tackle this one on my own.. As far as the tub question. Is there a tech article or anything that tells you how to remove it, what items are to be removed and how etc? Any and all shortcuts / experiences would be greatly appreciated such as, would you sandblast the parts, POR 15 over the surface in lieu of primer and then paint? By the way, I do plan on lining the underside of the tub and portions of the interior.....

Thanks.

Kevin

Sounds like the PO did not do a very good "frame off". What you are talkng about getting into is a "frame off". Decide before you begin how far you are willing to go and make sure you have the time and finances in order or you will never get it back together again.

To answer your question, I would send out the parts to have them professionally stripped and then shoot them with a quality primer and paint.

I just removed my tub several weeks ago. It was my first time to do this and was sucessful. I just hope I can get it all back together. I did take plenty of pics so I would have a good references during the re-assembly. It's a job a noobe can do, but taking the tub off basically means that your rig is competely disassembled. Just make sure how far you really want to go with the project.

One thing I would advise (if you do remove the tub) is to make your self some type of dolly w/ casters to set the tub on once it is off the frame. It takes 3 or 4 folks to pick it up and move it around. With this home made dolly, I can roll it in and out of the shop by my self. It can also set right side up or up side down on the dolly. Worked great for doing the under coating.(setting up side down) As far as the details, not sure if there is a right or wrong way or any certain order, but it was job. I also removed engine and tranny. Not sure if you plan on doing that or not. If you want to discuss details and things that I learned doing this , then just pm me.

A tech article on the complete guide to disassembly would be a good idea.

nspctr1 said:
OK, I recently purchased a 73 FJ40 that the PO allegedly performed a frame-off resto on approx 3 years ago. The paint looks good but has plenty of rust coming through it. Under neath it appears the tub was sand/bead blasted but that was it. The paint is flaking and it's back to bare metal, no primer or anything. so what I hope to do is pull the front fenders, aprons, hood etc and sand blast them and repaint and then the tub.
So, My questions are.... After sand blasting the parts and repairing any rust issues, what product would you prep the metal with, what type/ brand of primer would you use and lastly paint type and brand. I know nothing of body and paint work, the work performed on my other 40's was contracted out and I think I'd like to tackle this one on my own.. As far as the tub question. Is there a tech article or anything that tells you how to remove it, what items are to be removed and how etc? Any and all shortcuts / experiences would be greatly appreciated such as, would you sandblast the parts, POR 15 over the surface in lieu of primer and then paint? By the way, I do plan on lining the underside of the tub and portions of the interior.....

Thanks.

Kevin

i would go with ppg or imron paint and primer. don't ever combine different types. A paint shop should know this.

personally i think you should go to a paint shop where they paint cemi trucks and industrial vehicles. they paint with the toughest paint ( dupont imron or ppg deltron) and they last forever ( well atleast on the cemis they do)

good luck. they can usually shoot it pretty cheap at those pplaces.

If you can find Imron paint be very careful with it. It's highly toxic. Be sure to wear a respirator and gloves. It is a nerve toxin as most automotive paints are so just have some respect for it. Don't get me wrong, I have a '68 BMW motorcycle that I painted with Imron and I'm probably a few brain cells shy for using Imron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom