Trustworthy and Passionate Mechanic out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I bought an 80 series and on my way home the oil light came on several times. It had oil, but I'm not sure if the oil pump was working properly. It was a 30 minute drive and now the engine has an awful sound it wasn't making before. It still starts and runs, but I don't feel like driving it to any shops. Is there any experienced, 80-series connoisseur home mechanic that wouldn't mind coming home to check it out? I'll pay for gas and time. Located in NW GA. Feel free to call or text 787-349-1169. Thanks!

Like how awful? Oil lights are 99% of the time a stop immediately and turn off the engine types of warning lights. I hope it isn’t the sound of death.

I
Like how awful? Oil lights are 99% of the time a stop immediately and turn off the engine types of warning lights. I hope it isn’t the sound of death.
It's bad. Sounds like there's a train inside my engine... but the train has engine issues as well. Lol.

I'm pretty sure I killed it. My next question was going to be if anyone can help swapping in a rebuilt engine, but just found a used 1994 LC in Tennessee with a good engine in transmission in. I'm in between putting that engine in mine (since my body and interiors are good), or just swapping my locked drivetrain into his (which has a good engine and transmission). I guess the drivetrain swap would be easier, and since I'm already there just install a lift at the same time.

Anyone want to help? I'll pay, get beer and lunch.... on multiple days since I don't think this will be an easy job. Lol.

I respectfully disagree. On an 80, the oil light is super finicky depending on level, ambient temp, and general mood of the truck.

OP - What does your oil look like? Coolant? I'd do a little more investigating before you throw in the towel and swap the motor.

If I was in
I respectfully disagree. On an 80, the oil light is super finicky depending on level, ambient temp, and general mood of the truck.

OP - What does your oil look like? Coolant? I'd do a little more investigating before you throw in the towel and swap the motor.
I have no experience with the 80 series, just speaking from experience with the idiot lights in general.

g before you throw in the towel and swap the m

Both look good. Oil is at a good level. When the light first came on, I stopped and put it some more thinking the level was low. If I check it right now, its at full. It never crossed my mind that it might have been the oil pressure. I'm thinking of getting a recording of the noise the engine makes but its bad... like really bad. One last thing I thought was dropping the oil pan and inspecting to see if there are any residues in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom