“Trumpet” sound between 1800-2000 rpm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 FZJ80, 1FZ-FE. No engine upgrades whatsoever, completely OEM from front to back inside and out except for double din radio and 33” tires, problem was before any changes to truck where made. Truck accelerated and brakes perfectly. I’ve researched this to death, have commented on a few dead threads in hope of resurrecting them to solve the issue and have had no solutions.
After cold starting (and by cold starting I mean starting truck cold, ambient temp doesn’t matter as this has persisted regardless of outside temp) and continueong to drive, my truck makes the sound posted in the video. I will say the video is maybe 50% as loud as normal as I had already driven the truck a few miles before I thought to video. After driving maybe 2-3 minutes the truck almost never/rarely makes the noise again. I have minor feedback in the accelerator pedal that kinda feels like a reverberation more than a full on vibration, like a pulley bearing is out of balance or on the way out, but not a vibration when you can tell something has completely s*** the pot. Steering, braking, warming the truck up before driving; nothing seems to solve the issue.
Truck was recently base lined which solved nothing. All fluids, wheel bearings/seals front and rear, new brake pads and rotors, MAF cleaned, new battery. I think my next step is a new serpentine belt, and keep my old one for a spare just to see if that helps or fixes the issue somehow. I’d prefer to not start throwing parts at the truck in hope of blindly fixing an unknown issue, but I have a feeling it’s a vacuum line that is somehow pulling/not pulling air correctly upon the first few minutes of driving, I do notice in the summer when it’s much hotter my gas tank is pressurized, any vacuum lines/valves between the gas tank and charcoal canister correlated with the vacuum setup? Any ideas from anyone would be a great help

As a side note I will say the absolute only problems with the truck are the oil canister is obviously clogged as I get a pressurized tank, and I have a broken rubber exhaust hanger that’s under the back passenger seat. Possible loose harmonizing exhaust somewhere until it fully heats up?

More info! Does it only do it when the car is in motion? AC related? Does it do it in all gears? Does it do it every time the engine goes past 1800-2000? or Just once?

:beer:

More info! Does it only do it when the car is in motion? AC related? Does it do it in all gears? Does it do it every time the engine goes past 1800-2000? or Just once?

:beer:

A/C on or off makes no difference, Heat on off makes no difference. Does it in seconds gear from what I can tell, seems I can still feel some vibration in my pedal in 3rd gear/higher speeds but maybe the sound is at a pitch that I can’t hear. Does it at 1800-2000 rpms for the first minute or two of driving, after that I can’t remember it doing it anymore. Maybe a bearing on the way out that is warming/loosening up as I drive? I’m about to order new belts, but it’ll be next week before I can give the pulleys a doing to check for wear and tear. Hopefully I don’t have a pump of any kind going out

I had this!!!!! Mine would generally only do it under load usually uphill and relatively shortly after starting up. If I let off the gas for a sec it would go away. I never figured out exactly what it was, but it went away when I installed a shift kit.

When I pulled the transmission pan it there was alot of very fine black gunk in it. Its possible that just pulling the pan and cleaning everything out is what did it. I exchanged the fluid prior to all this and that did not fix it.

Here's my thread. I have a video in it.

Zipping sound under acceleration?

I have had loose belts cause a noise similar to that but at a higher rpm range or when I would down shift on a hill.

I had this!!!!! Mine would generally only do it under load usually uphill and relatively shortly after starting up. If I let off the gas for a sec it would go away. I never figured out exactly what it was, but it went away when I installed a shift kit.

When I pulled the transmission pan it there was alot of very fine black gunk in it. Its possible that just pulling the pan and cleaning everything out is what did it. I exchanged the fluid prior to all this and that did not fix it.

Here's my thread. I have a video in it.

Zipping sound under acceleration?

I can’t hear your video at work (there’s a huge vac truck outside sucking ash out of a clogged accumulator/suction line). But it seems I have completely different symptoms. Mine does it regardless of a hill, and actually doesn’t do it if I accelerate pretty hard. I might be in for a mild trans rebuild anyways just for peace of mind. I’ll watch your video when I get a spare minute

Ok here’s a video I got last night. This is the longest I have ever been able to manipulate the truck into making the sound. Ambient temp was around 65, engine temp is up to normal, and I’ve been driving for around 4-5 minutes.

Also I started noticing it does indeed happen in 2nd and 3rd gear. I can also hear and feel (very mildly mind you) that the sound is trying to happen in 4th/OD at higher speeds when my RPMs are around 2k. After reading @DARKNESS thread, I do indeed think a mild trans rebuild is on the list of things to do. Although the engine temp is up, maybe the trans temp is still low and it goes away after completely warming up. I don’t make enough long drives in my personal truck to experiment with this theory so I have no clue.
Haven’t had time to search but anyone had experience with dropping the pan and cleaning/inspecting the transmission?

I have had the same exact sound out of my truck for 4 years. I have searched and checked everything I can get my hands on, and after just giving up I call it the "Louis Armstrong Trumpet Option" for the truck. It comes and goes, but always at the same RPM under acceleration, 1900-2000 RPM, lift off for an instant and continue acceleration and it goes away. This happens regardless of temperature, hills, AC, heat, engine temp, new fluids, new vac hoses, belts, transmission flush and pan clean, drive shaft lube, etc etc etc. If you find something, would great to try. Otherwise, I have driven tens of thousands of miles and can't see any performance issues.

I have had the same exact sound out of my truck for 4 years. I have searched and checked everything I can get my hands on, and after just giving up I call it the "Louis Armstrong Trumpet Option" for the truck. It comes and goes, but always at the same RPM under acceleration, 1900-2000 RPM, lift off for an instant and continue acceleration and it goes away. This happens regardless of temperature, hills, AC, heat, engine temp, new fluids, new vac hoses, belts, transmission flush and pan clean, drive shaft lube, etc etc etc. If you find something, would great to try. Otherwise, I have driven tens of thousands of miles and can't see any performance issues.

Have you deleted your EGR by any chance? It’s on my to do list, just wondering if it’s possibly a valve or vacuum line pulling air

Another note. I actually bought a used valve body and installed my kit on that in case I screwed up. So possible swapping out the valve body was the fix, not necessarily the shift kit. Regardless it was definitely transmission related for me.

While driving my work truck today I noticed the same vibration and feedback (not exact but pretty close) on the gas pedal at a certain rpm range. So, as of today I’m sceptical if the trans, egr, and now possibly the fan clutch. Haven’t ruled out any other pulley/item attached to the serpentine belt but all of those components are functioning just fine so I have my doubts. I have the weekend off so I guess I’ll finally get to dive into it

Something else that was suggested long ago was PCV valve sucking wind, since it is under acceleration. Didn't make a different for mine, but worth a look.

have you had anyone drive with you and try to find the source?

Okay, I am curious if it can be heard on the outside of the car? behind the dash on the other side of the firewall there are several lines going to the brake booster and EGR valve. I wonder if that noise originates with the EGR valve given that it occurs within a specific RPM.

There is four coolant lines that come in the center of the dash through the firewall.

Brake Booster Check valve Chattering at a certain RPM?

It the noise RPM specific or SPEED specific?

Can you hold it in first or second gear, get it to the RPM to reactivate, or does it have to be at a higher speed along with RPM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom