Trip meter serviceable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Hello!
My trip meter doesn’t zero-out. When pressing the reset button, it displays a random assortment of numbers which, unfortunately, haven’t yet led to a winning powerball ticket.
Can the mechanism be rehabbed somehow?

@FJ73Texas

I have some close up photos I can share with you later when I get home from work.

I found one photo on my work computer but I can take more when I get home. This is generally what it looks like behind the speedometer face. When you push the long black button(which is hard to see in this specific photo)...it lifts off the gears from the trip odometer and resets it.

dials.JPG

Here is a better photo. It seems like a part that could be swapped out from another cluster because it is just a dial that feeds off the main odometer that resets itself to zero whenever the driver wishes.

dials2.JPG

I wouldn't take it apart just yet, usually it's just a combination of factory oil and years of fine dust making things a bit sticky.

Give it a blow with compressed air and then a dry lube, graphite or other and work the button as needed, should fix it right up.

Try your best not to spray or drip on the number faces, the paint is old and easily damaged/removed.

I wouldn't take it apart just yet, usually it's just a combination of factory oil and years of fine dust making things a bit sticky.

Give it a blow with compressed air and then a dry lube, graphite or other and work the button as needed, should fix it right up.

Try your best not to spray or drip on the number faces, the paint is old and easily damaged/removed.

Great advice. I have two part clusters here and one is super clean such as you see in the photo. The other one is pretty dirty looking...like dirty grease. I guess it depends what environment the cruiser was exposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom