Trek Mountain Track 830 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve owned this Trek 830 since new in 1994. It’s been sitting in my garage unused for about 10 years. It’s a great bike in excellent condition. Recently tried it out and was working great. Bought new tires then the suspension fork lost its seals. It’s a Marzocchi 700 XC that you cannot get parts for. I’m finding since it’s a 1” head you can’t even get a replacement suspension fork. So I’m thinking of just changing to a hard non suspension fork.
Anyone have experience/advice with this?
What should I be looking for spec wise?

It’s a 26” tire and the Cantilever type brakes.

I’ve owned this Trek 830 since new in 1994. It’s been sitting in my garage unused for about 10 years. It’s a great bike in excellent condition. Recently tried it out and was working great. Bought new tires then the suspension fork lost its seals. It’s a Marzocchi 700 XC that you cannot get parts for. I’m finding since it’s a 1” head you can’t even get a replacement suspension fork. So I’m thinking of just changing to a hard non suspension fork.
Anyone have experience/advice with this?
What should I be looking for spec wise?

It’s a 26” tire and the Cantilever type brakes.
Additionally I spoke with a bike shop and they mentioned maybe being able to use a 1 1/8” fork since the bearings are located outside of the head.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

I did something similar with a Bridgestone MB-1. A suspension fork was swapped onto it when I bought it, but I put a rigid fork on it. 1 1/8 sounds familiar. It certainly can be done, and as luck would have it, I was surfing the forks on the Surly site earlier and I think they have what you need…
Before
ECC3D00F-EE51-4EB7-BCE7-4BAF19BF7896.jpeg

After
352CE5DE-7A2D-4270-A7A2-4AAF94553549.jpeg

There are some suspension fork refurb companies out there that may be able to rebuild that XC700.

You should be able to find an older 1" fork on ebay, pinkbike, or some of the vintage MTB pages on facebook.

Otherwise, you can search those same places for older 1" rigid forks. I'm not aware of any way to get a 1-1/8" fork to fit a 1" head tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom