transmission whine under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 with front and rear diff locks, 234k, I have only owned it for a month. It has made a whining type noise under throttle since I bought it. The Noise is louder at higher speeds and does go away pretty much instantly when I let off the gas. I can even feel it through the gas pedal as a vibration if I pay attention to it. I was hoping maybe a driveline vibe, but the more I drive it the more I think it is tranny related. My atf is good color and smells norm. I don't feel like it is going to leave me stranded but the noise is quite pronounced and none of the other 80's I drove made this noise. The thing that gets me is it goes away immediately with letting off the throttle. I paid 2k for it in this condition knowing it would need some work, so don't be afraid to give it to me straight. Thanks Ty

Don't assume it's the tranny; you need to isolate the noise. Could be anything from the front diff. on thru to the back.

Does it do it when you're parked and in neutral?

Does it do it if you shift into neutral and give it gas?

Does it only do it under fairly heavy acceleration?

Do you still have the OEM resonator can on the end of the exhaust?

Check for leaks/cracks in your exhaust. If everything checks out good, it's most likely the typical 1FZ whine that all 80's have.

It will not make the noise in neutral or park, it is only under load. The noise perfectly coincides with throttle pedal vibration, as I begin to let off the gas the vibration and noise go down simultaneosly to a stop in just a fraction of a second. The whine is loud enough that friends always mention it and you feel like your in a vacuum chamber. I do have the factory exhuast it seems, right down to the resonator.

drop your transfer case fluid and look for metal in the oil and on the drain cap, on my high milege 93 the p.o. reported a whine sound intermitently under power and drove it like that for a while.... his mechanic told him it was the front axel and that he would have to have it replacece soon or it would lock up, well it was the transfer case with no fluid screaming for oil and it finaly locked up and almost caused a serious situation on the highway. I would start there.

Don't assume it's the tranny; you need to isolate the noise. Could be anything from the front diff. on thru to the back.

2nd that, i put a used diff in my 96 all to find the same noise you are describing it was a bad pinion bearing:bang:

Would I have to lock the transfer case? I don't have CDL, just front and rear diff locks, although CDL is on the list. Front axle ring and pinion now seems like a possibility, I changed the fluid about 1,000 miles ago and it was nasty soup with plenty of shavings on the magnetic drain plug. I refilled with cheap dino gear lube, perhaps I should drain it again and take a look at the plug for more shavings. Rear axle seems good and gets the amsoil treatment. I still haven't done the transfer case drain and fill, I was saving it for last.

You have the CDL, just not the switch.

Drop it in low range and make sure it locks. Pull the CDL fuse (in cab panel, bottom right, look for the largest blade fuse, 35 amps IIRC). Once the fuse it pulled, put it back in high range. Now you're locked in high.

You can also put the T-Case into neutral, and see if applying throttle gives the whine. I would also try it in low range and see if you get it.

FWIW, The whine in both my 80's is loud enough I've been asked if I have a turbo or supercharger installed. :doh:

heres what i found (this is what was making the whine noise)
DSC06000.jpg
DSC05998.jpg

I would assume transfer case from the previous posting. Beyond that I don't know.

Are you lifted? That could make a difference.

Make sure it's not the exhaust. Have a helper rev it up repeatedly while you listen at the tailpipe. If it is the exhaust, you can do what I did- chop off the old muffler and stick a glasspack on it :hillbilly:

1993 with front and rear diff locks, 234k, I have only owned it for a month. It has made a whining type noise under throttle since I bought it. The Noise is louder at higher speeds and does go away pretty much instantly when I let off the gas. I can even feel it through the gas pedal as a vibration if I pay attention to it. I was hoping maybe a driveline vibe, but the more I drive it the more I think it is tranny related. My atf is good color and smells norm. I don't feel like it is going to leave me stranded but the noise is quite pronounced and none of the other 80's I drove made this noise. The thing that gets me is it goes away immediately with letting off the throttle. I paid 2k for it in this condition knowing it would need some work, so don't be afraid to give it to me straight. Thanks Ty

Any conclusion to this? I am getting the whine. Mainly on uphills from a dead stop. When I reach speed it goes away, or I can no longer hear it. I would be good to hear what you concluded. In the mean time I'm going to check the transfer case and diff fluids. It's been a while since I've checked them.

Ron

I'm interested as well. I'm pretty sure I have the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom