Transmission Stutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.madtripper.com
I was driving to work this morning and the transmission started to stutter. I was on a main road doing around 50. I took it out of OD and the tranny downshifted and was fine. I put it back in OD and the stuttering returned. So, back out of OD and then in one more time and it was gone. I applied the accelerator so it would downshift and everything worked as it should. My vehicle is a 97 and just purchased last week. Drove 2.5 hours after purchase with no issues. I was only about 2 miles from home when the issue took place and I have almost 209K on the rig.

I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to investigate but has anyone experienced this? It was almost as if the tranny was trying to shift in and out of OD very fast.

Thanks again!

Tripper

I don't know much about the LC automatic tranny, but what you are describing sounds like a torque converter slipping when it is in lock-up. How is your transmission fluid? (is it dark and stinky?)

I don't know much about the LC automatic tranny, but what you are describing sounds like a torque converter slipping when it is in lock-up. How is your transmission fluid? (is it dark and stinky?)

I haven't had a chance to look at it but will do so asap. I plan on doing a tune up shortly but I've had a bit on my plate. Perhaps this weekend.

Tripper

I had to grab a trailer after work today so I didn't have time to do much else. After, I dropped it at the house, I had a couple chips in the windshield fixed. On my way to the shop, the transmission was fine in OD. I plan on flushing the fluid using the method described in the faq's. Man, I have a ton of work to catch up on with this thing but worth it to know where everything is as far as maintenance.

Tripper

I am having the same problem with my 97 fzj80, even after a full flush with m1 syn tranny fluid. for the first 500 miles after the flush it stopped, but just the other day it started doing it again, even worse than before.
did the flush help your rig?
has anyone else had this problem?

I am having the same problem with my 97 fzj80, even after a full flush with m1 syn tranny fluid. for the first 500 miles after the flush it stopped, but just the other day it started doing it again, even worse than before.
did the flush help your rig?
has anyone else had this problem?

To be honest, it never came back (knock on wood). I changed the motor oil yesterday and checked everything over. The tranny fluid was very red and there were no signs of dirt so the PO must have changed it not too long ago. The motor oil was pretty disgusting but I put Mobil 1 0w40 in it along with a Mobil 1 filter.

Tripper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom