Transmission Slip Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 FJ80 3" lift, 31's, 152K

When a tranny starts to slip, will it slip all the time or ever so often? When shifting from 2nd to 3rd I get a little bit of a rev-up ever so often. I've changed the AT filter and fluid to see if that is the case, but I still get the symptom ever once in a while. I'm going to check the throttle cable tonight to see if it needs adjustment. Looking for suggestions.
Thanks

If its slipping you are going to have to replace with a rebuilt or known good tranny.

Is the rev-up a sign of slipping? Could it be the cable is simply out of adjustment? Does the slipping happen all of the time or start ever so often at first? Just looking for a little direction on this one.

If its slipping you are going to have to replace with a rebuilt or known good tranny.

Doubtful in this case.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1854173&postcount=11

Quoted from the above post (by me:)):

"A slight rpm "flare" between 2nd and 3rd (only!) is quite common on 91-92's and can almost be considered normal. It often can be eliminated by adjusting the tranny "kickdown" cable (which controls shift points) that runs from the tranny to the throttle body. (It's a really easy adjustment.) Regardless, it doesn't ever seem to be an indicator of impending doom.

Advanced search for "kickdown" (our 80's section), and also put in my username if you like, cuz I've posted a lot on this."

Curtis

I adjusted the kick-down cable and the results were immediate. I instantly had better response and improved acceleration. Thanks to all that commented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom