Transmission Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im about to hit 100k on my GX, I started researching transmission service and found the GX has a "sealed" unit which claims to never need service for life of trans. I get to concept and friend who is Lexus master tech says leave it alone but not sure how much I believe this, has anyone ever serviced their trans?

If you aren't having problems I wouldn't worry too much about it at 100k unless you see a trans leak and could be low. Myself and others do not believe in maintenance free transmission fluids but it is not unreasonable to let it go 150-200k miles. I grew up doing it about every 60k miles in my vehicles. I was looking into this because I just bought the fluid to do my 05 with 215k miles. 200k is the longest I would go with it just because. The sealed units are a pain to get all the fluid out of though even if you drop the pan you have to do it more than once to get all the fluid out of the TC or just be happy with being mostly fresh. There is also a specific method you need to use. Whatever you do just make sure you use the specified Toyota-ATF WS fluid only if that is what is specified. I want to say 04-05 is when they switched them all to ATF WS and I want to say all sealed units use the ATF WS fluid. There were even issues with dealers filling them with cheaper fluid because they didn't want to buy the more expensive WS and it was causing shift problems, shuttering and surging etc.. there are bulletins I have seen for it anyways. This is one of the few manufacturer spec. fluids I don't argue about using when speced.

I flushed mine at 80K and the fluids were dark. I did not drop the pan which I should but did noticed better shifting after the flush. I used Valvoline Maxlife instead of factory WS fluid.

I flushed mine at 80K and the fluids were dark. I did not drop the pan which I should but did noticed better shifting after the flush. I used Valvoline Maxlife instead of factory WS fluid.

How many miles do you have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom