Transmission removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post and I'm needing some advice. I've got 75 FJ40 that has a Fairey Overdrive. I've things all unhooked and almost ready to pull the transmission/tranfer case. My original plan was to get a transmission jack under the tranny and pull it and the tranfer case and overdrive out as one unit. but I'm looking closer and I've maybe an inch to go back before the overdrive makes contact with body. Can I come back just far enough to clear the pilot bushing and the then start tipping things down in the back as I pull free of the clutch splines. I must confess I've had no experience with this overdrive and don't know how to remove it before removing the tranny. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You will need to remove the rear motor mounts on the bell housing from the bellhousing and drop the motor and transmission/TC to allow removal of the T/TC. I had the same situation with trying to install a 4 speed/Orion into an early('66) frame and body. The crossmember interfered with the alignment. I'm sure the Fairey causes a similar problem. Leave the front mounts attached and drop the whole assembly with a jack.

Ed:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom