Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove my FJ briefly on the Oregon Inlet in the Outer Banks this past weekend and my transmission failed. I tooled through the sand for a short while (as my wife and three kids enjoy it much less than I do) and when I returned to the hard road area I put the vehicle into 2HI (from 4HI). When I did so, the engine would rev - but the vehicle would not go more than 15 miles an hour. After pulling over, I also discovered that I had no reverse gear. Long story short, got it towed and got it fixed (new tranny) - under warranty. I have scanned the posts and have not seen any similar issues. Was this a freak? Any issues with the tranny that made this failure predictable? I do not want to repeat this after my vehicle exits the warranty period...

Update on Tranny

Got a call from Toyota today and they said that they would cover my tow and rental. This is outstanding! When I had a Land Rover the dealers would suggest hundreds of dollars in services every time I got my oil changed. Problem solved and huge customer satisfaction.

You are one of the lucky ones. How many miles were on it when it failed?

Were you driving thru the water as well or only the sand? Did the high ATF temp warning light ever come on?

DEWFPO

toyota told me to hit the road when i asked them for a free rental springfield mo toyota sucks!!!!!!!!!!

how many miles on your fj when the transmission went out? mine has 72,000 and the transmission just went yesterday. it started shuddering changing from 2nd into 3rd and 3rd into 4th. luckily mine has an extended warranty as well as a lifetime powertrain warranty. i'm waiting to hear from the dealer on monday to hear more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom