Transmission Cooler Install - FJ62 Trans Tranny - Hayden (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hjdca

1988 FJ62
Threads
This is a copy install from slcfj62. Thanks for a great design and idea ! Here is a link to his original post.:clap::clap::cheers:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/341142-need-want-tranny-cooler.html

In this install, there are no holes drilled or modifications to the truck. All 4 bracket mounting points for the cooler used existing screws on the front of the truck.

Here is the Hayden 1678 cooler, made in Australia.
dsc02569k.jpg

I am adding some pics from my install that I thought might help people. When I looked at the old Cooler line to the radiator, I was impressed at how overbuilt it was. The pressed on fittings on the end are 3/8" barb with an inverted flange 16x1.5 metric pitch. It seems impossible to find these fittings in the wild, so, as slcfj62 says, you have to cut them off the old line. I also went with black braided hose which is quite expensive. I had the fittings from the old hose pressed onto the black braided 3/8" hose. The hose work was done locally by ORME brothers in Northridge, CA, in the suburbs of Los Angeles. They have a web site, just concatenate ormebrothers. The hose is 9 feet. After making the cut for the two hoses, I only had about 6 inches to spare, so, do not get less than 9 feet of hose. Here are the pics. :popcorn:

dsc02545t.jpg

dsc02546z.jpg

Here is the cooler with the painted black brackets bent and mocked up to fit on the condensor. The two flat brackets mount on the top and bottom bolts that hold the center support for the grill, and the two bent brackets mount on the top and bottom bolts (rubber mounts) that hold the condenser. Just take the bolts with the rubber mounts apart and put the bracket between the bolt and the huge washer. The braided hose goes through the top and bottom holes in the support. At the end the cooler has 6 support points, its not going anywhere. Note: the highest raised bracket below was about 1/4 inch short, so, I had to bend it slightly during the install to get it to fit.

img0724mn.jpg

img0723e.jpg

Note that the top bracket on the drivers side is bent for a higher mount that the lower bracket on the drivers side. This tilt matches the tilt of the grill and keeps a nice big airspace between the trans cooler and condenser. Also the condensor mounting bolts are easy to take apart. Just hit them with liquid wrench first. After all four brackets are mounted, it is very sturdy, you can jump the truck with these mounts.

Attached below is the original trans cooler line routing followed by the modified trans cooler line routing. Notice the holes in the frame being used for routing. Once the skid plate goes back on, you cannot see anything.

Notice the big loop for the tranny line going to the radiator and the rubber sleeve from the old tranny line going into the frame.

Good Luck with your install, and thanks slcfj62 for a great idea !! Cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom