Transfer case too full (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I know about the hose between the Trans and t case and have one. But why is my t case over filling???

A lot of the "gear surface-area" in the transfer case sits above the oil level.

So if you drained and refilled it immediately after driving it, and then checked the level again after it had been sitting unused for a few days ... it would always appear to be overfull (because the oil wetting the high-parts would have drained back down to raise the level after those "few days").

Another reason for it appearing overfull could be that your cruiser wasn't level (either when it was filled or when it was later checked-again).

:beer:

PS. I haven't heard of a leaking seal causing oil to flow "gearbox-to-transfer" (because it usually goes the other way as I recall).

Hello,
I realize this is an old thread but I need to ask/check...
I got my 61 about a year ago and I haven’t changed the fluids yet. I have a very minute leak in the T-case rear seal so I thought i’d Check the level first before draining, (changing the rear oil seal), and refilling. What I expected was a slight drip out the fill hole.....To my surprise when I removed the fill bolt gobs of oil came rushing out....and I swear as I glanced up at the oil flowing out it looked like it was coming from an upper part of the T-case. I hadn’t driven the vehicle in about 4 days....but the last thing I did prior to shutting it down last was run the PTO to make sure it worked.
I’m at a loss. Can anyone give me an explanation?
The vehicle runs well. I don’t know when last the fluids were changed but all fluids look clean and clear.
My plan is to ultimately drain, replace the rear oil seal, and refill as originally intended.
But I really need an explanation!,
Thanks
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom