Transfer case leak please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I have a leaky transfer case. One of the leaks is from the fill plug that is stripped and I’m gonna fix that by retapping with 1/2” NPT.

However I just noticed there is quite a bit of fluid around this cable or line that comes into the transfer case. Not quite sure what this cable/line is and can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop the leak from this location? Thank you.

E8E371F2-3CEE-4744-94F6-CF3F02DEDB26.jpeg

That cable is the speedometer cable. There’s a solid metal cable inside the outer sheath that spins when the driveshaft is turning.
The speedo cable end just screws into the transfer case fitting. Unscrew it and there’s supposed to be an o-ring sealing the shaft. Yours is worn out.

Definitely check for the gasket at the end under the cap. I put a little toyota fipg silicone on mine. No leak since.

If you unscrew that 12mm hex bolt on the right of your picture, you can take the speedo gear assembly out of the transfer case (oil might drain as well) and you can then rebuild it. You can buy a new speedo gear which I believe comes with new seals. Part number 33403-69075

Do you know your transfer case level is correct. The static level should just be below the bottom of the fill port. Also the plug threads don’t seal the port, the couch washer performs the seal. Of course you need some thread engagement to properly compress the seal.

These kind of leaks might show if your transfer case oil level is too high.

To add on to @2mbb level is too high bc you are leaking fluid from the transmission to the tcase (or at least thats why mine is overfull)

Thanks everyone. I purchased the seal kit from cityracer and I’ll have a go at it soon. Appreciate all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom