Tranny/transfer takes dump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is real time just so you know. 2001 lc with 120ish. The truck will only move with the Cdl engaged and makes a whirling/grinding noise while in gear and will not move otherwise. I'm on vacation 700 miles from home so any insight would be helpful. Truck bucked then all this happened. Thanks in advance.

Stripped drive plates in the front axle. Common and easy fix problem in 80 series trucks.

Pry off the grease caps and take a look.

Where are these plates. Also anyone have a good Toyota or tranny shop in the Houston area

They are right on the end of the axle with a grease cap covering the end of the axle.

It's likely just 1 side. The clue, is that the truck will move with the CDL locked. I suppose it could be a front differential too. You will need to investigate, but look for the easy and cheap first.

Thanks I just registered with the Texas group. Can't post without being a member, I got back to the hotel and having a beer to calm my nerves and doing a little mud research. About to go see if just the drive plates.

Don't think I going to be that lucky. I can't shift the transfer case. And there's a pretty significant grinding when in gear

The front lock ring came off so that's my problem. But here's something I have not seen before. The axle shaft is wanting to pull back into the hub real far if I remember from doing a 80 the shaft stays out and you use a bolt to pull it out and expose the groove for the lock ring. Is it different on a 100 series or is there more wrong in there.

Thanks I just registered with the Texas group. Can't post without being a member, I got back to the hotel and having a beer to calm my nerves and doing a little mud research. About to go see if just the drive plates.

You should be able to post here:

TX- Bayou City Land Cruisers

What part of town?

I'm in westchase area. Surprisingly enough the screw from the jack handle fits the axle but that retaining clip is messed up so I'm hoping to get one tomorrow somewhere don McGill Toyota. Any recommends on local independent guy.

Thanks it looks like I need an interior snap ring on the cv joint I've never done that before and don't have the time or tools to be trying to figure it out in a hotel parking lot. I'm hoping to limp over to the shop and have them take a look at it. And yes mud is awesome

How far/fast can I drive with the CDL engaged

Thanks it looks like I need an interior snap ring on the cv joint I've never done that before and don't have the time or tools to be trying to figure it out in a hotel parking lot. I'm hoping to limp over to the shop and have them take a look at it. And yes mud is awesome

Damn, I just got done turning my garage upside down, was really hoping to save the day here, I had 2 extra "c" clips from my cv reboot install I did a couple of months ago but I cannot find them!!! Its totally not me to throw that kind of thing away either! I probably saved the boots too as they were not ripped but I cannot find them anywhere. What a shame.

The axle will naturally pull inwards you have to have someone hold it from the inside and pull it outwards or use straps.

I'm so sorry I will keep looking for those "c" clips or I will not be able to sleep tonight.

By the way I'm relatively local to where you are at, if I find them I will ping you. If you cannot get the part they come on the re-boot kits.

I found the bag where I would of put all the spare parts of my axle reboot and found the locking ring for the inboard side of the axle (one that goes into the diff) I cannot believe I would of thrown away those C clips I still think I can find them but I don't know if I will find them in time to help you as I work tonight and all day tomorrow. What exactly is wrong with yours is it bent or grinded off? any way you can post a picture? I'm wondering if its repairable. The shift boot kit includes a ring, if you cannot find the ring at the dealership the part number for the kit that includes a ring is: 04427-60120. I believe most dealerships stopped selling the reboot kit and started selling the axle as a whole. If you run into that you can order it on Amazon they are still selling those here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTHPRXO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_bia_detailpages00

I know you need it now but if you can wait that's another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom