Tranny question on '00 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got a thunk. But I think it's the Tcase.

Both my front and rear drive shafts have between 2 or 3 degrees of play. I can twist them by hand.

It appears all the play is between the TCase and the diffs. The U-joints are still nice and tight.

I think this is what gives a little thunk every now and then.

Yeah, something you learn to live with in a full-time 4WD vehicle. Most 100s are too new for this to be noticeable yet. A little bit of backlash throughout the drivetrain has a cumulative effect and manifests as a thunking noise/sensation (i.e. a tiny bit of play in two diff flanges, all four prop shaft u-joints, two T-case flanges, etc. all adds up). Tolerances will loosen up as the miles go by (most of the 80 Series guys have thunks that would make you cringe as a 100 owner), but I don't believe there is any mechanical concern, aside from how high is your "annoying noise" tolerance.

All 4x4 trucks are going to have some Driveline "play" and whether it bothers you is is partly dependent on how tight your "pink panties" are.
2007 Lexus w/ 100 miles on it vs. 1998 LC 100 with "Arizona pinstripes" and trail dents.

100 series lube diagram - to fix the problem

80 series FAQ on Driveline "Clunk" - If you have broadband and too much time on your hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom