Trails Arrived! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in FSJohn, BC - the most northern TLCA chapter. :bounce:

Very well done Todd and contributors. Always a good read. Nice to see the "readers rigs" section back.

I picked up the last 10 years of trails from the TLCA store and they showed up at work on Friday...I sat on the chitter all weekend. :hillbilly:

Cannot wait to see it.....

2 things come to mind after pouring over the new issue a few times.

How much I'd like to see a build up article on Bill's truck. I know I saw some bits here and there, likely via ORS stuff, but it is a well built and beautiful 4Runner.

The second thing is, Bill, how's your head? :frown: I think when they took the shot for the cover someone stole your rear driveshaft! :eek:
:grinpimp:

Seriously though, I'd like to hear and see how the whole build turned out, how he likes the 3.4, how the rest of the drivetrain turned out and if the interior's original or spruced up.

The most important aspect being pictures, since I can't necessarily offer up my vehicle for an article since it's pretty basic stuff and already this month's Mud ROTM.
:steer:

2 things come to mind after pouring over the new issue a few times.

How much I'd like to see a build up article on Bill's truck. I've watched this truck grow up over the years. I know I saw some bits here and there, and it is a well built and beautiful 4Runner.

The second thing is, Bill, how's your head? :frown: I think when they took the shot for the cover someone stole your rear driveshaft! :eek:
:grinpimp:

Seriously though, I'd like to hear and see how the whole build turned out, how he likes the 3.4, how the rest of the drivetrain turned out and if the interior's original or spruced up.

The most important aspect being pictures, since I can't necessarily offer up my vehicle for an article since it's pretty basic stuff and already this month's Mud ROTM.
:steer:

I'm not Bill, but know him well and his know his rig pretty well. He did a 22RE to 5VZ conversion a couple years ago and loves it. The interior is mostly stock (IIRC). FWIW, not only is the truck sweet, but Bill is one of the best drivers I've ever had the pleasure to wheel with, one of the nicest people I know, and one of the best howler monkeys I know.

The shot of him with the bandage was appropriate; Bill was wheeling Steelbender several Cruise Moab's ago, was helping a fellow get over an obstacle by applying his body weight to the fellow's rear bumper, slipped off and konked is head on a rock. He was airlifted to the hospital and recovered well. The next year we decided that all trail leaders for Cruise Moab would be equipped with Sat phone, as it took took precious minutes for us to climb up high enough for cell phone coverage to call 911.

I do not know whether Bill frequents this fine forum, but you can read a lot of his posts on our Rising Sun forum at Rising Sun's web site.

Somewhere, I don't remember whether it was in Toyota Trails or maybe on the Rising Sun site, Bill did do quite an extensive write on up his build up to that point. I am sure it was after the SAS but before the 5VZ conversion. I think there's a dual case in there somewhere. I remember reading about his tranny rebuild separately, and am pretty sure it was on Rising Sun.

I would also like to mention that Bill was our Land Use Coordinator when I was Commander of Rising Sun. Rising Sun is so committed to Land Use issues we have elevated this to an elected position within our TLCA chapter. Bill served admirably, and even since stepping aside remains committed to helping to keep our trails open.

I appreciate the abundant info there Jeff. If you happen to be able to log into the RS site to get me a better result for the possible writeup it would be great to see it since apparently my login in here won't work/translate to there and I don't know Bill's screen name?

For that matter, why not include that specific type of information as the byline information? IE: If say we were to go to an event I would happily have folks given access to my build thread in Mud in case they're into the vehicle(s).

[EDIT]*86 that first part, found the page finally: http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2637&highlight=chili+4runner

Last edited:
I appreciate the abundant info there Jeff. If you happen to be able to log into the RS site to get me a better result for the possible writeup it would be great to see it since apparently my login in here won't work/translate to there and I don't know Bill's screen name?

For that matter, why not include that specific type of information as the byline information? IE: If say we were to go to an event I would happily have folks given access to my build thread in Mud in case they're into the vehicle(s).

[EDIT]*86 that first part, found the page finally: Bill Morgan aka Red Chili - Rising Sun Member Forums

Cool, glad you found it. He might have done a write up in the tech section on his 3.4 conversion, maybe my recollection might be from numerous in-person conversations. I *think* he's running 37s now too. But yeah, Bill's got a very sweet runner.

Interestingly, we have 2 very similar runners (both 1985s, both still with 22REs) in our group, Neil Quigley's and Greg "Cheesman" Luer's. Neil's is gold colored, and Greg's is red like Bill's. Both Neil and Greg have been heavily involved in the Cruise Moab committee over the years, and of course all three of them are great trail leaders at Cruise Moab. Neil's also got a nice 40, and Greg's got a nice 62, and all 3 of them are awesome drivers.

All TLCA members (members only) can see it right away on the TLCA web site, both in HTML and in downloadable PDF...

Damn, I should of looked at this sooner.

Thanks Jeff.

Rob

*Ummm, seems that b/c the site is still being rebuilt that option is not working or not linked in yet..found out today when I wanted to look at it online while away from home.

Any eta as to when the site will be back and up along with all the online only content?

*Ummm, seems that b/c the site is still being rebuilt that option is not working or not linked in yet..found out today when I wanted to look at it online while away from home.

Any eta as to when the site will be back and up along with all the online only content?

The members-only area is already live. It uses a new log in method. The member's user name and password will be printed in Toyota Trails, and you can email webmaster Matt Farr right now for your log in info.

Jeff, Matt shot me the info, now here's a fix needed asap?? Login for the Mar/Apr e-zine will not currently work with any macs, and I don't see the "How I..." article from Jerod when I did get the login and password to work on the PC. A person would think you were against us Mac-Geeks or something.

CC'd to Matt's email.

**EDIT, just got it working within Firefox, but not with Safari, etc..let me know when to give it another try, I'll be around the other systems to also try it out on.
**EDIT the EDIT..
You guys are quick, did I even need to make that post above b/c you already knew about it? :cheers::clap:
Matt I've forwarded a page shot of the jpg error from the contents page of the Mar/Apr e-zine.
Like I said there, should you guys desire I would be happy to do your final previews to spot typos or bad graphics loads on the e-zines since it something I am accustomed to doing in regular life.

Also,

FYI: Red Chili II's fan blower motor..*Anyone able to pass this info onto Bill Morgan please do so as it is about the fan question he posed to Roger in the new issue, if he has not found a solution by now, a couple options are to have the motor magnets reset or replaced, or go with a custom winding on the armature to have better power and speed through the use of a different gauge of wire and how it is wound(sp?) in a slightly different pattern. Do both and you'll really be set. Either way be sure you also go ahead and replace the resistor pack with a newer one that will handle the higher amperage draw while keeping things in great shape. :D

(Basically like you can do with R/C-Car motors.)

There are also aftermarket motors on ebay I have seen people buy for their 89-95 Trucks/4Runners as well as the 80 series Cruiser ones.
:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom