Trailer brake controller for the 80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We will be pulling a travel trailer just once for a week this summer. Our other two trailers have surge brakes and so I'm bummed to have to cut into the wiring and install one for a week rental, but so be it. Can anyone suggest a specific model for me to get? I see they range in price and I would like to buy an inexpensive one since I will literally remove it and most likely never use it again. Informationally, it is a once in a lifetime chance to camp with my folks in their 80s and we are renting a travel trailer for a week in Utah for this occasion. We are experienced tow-ers with easily 15,000 miles of towing with the 80.

Any thoughts? I thought about Craig's List for a used one, but some of the sites I've searched for new ones indicate that not all units work on my Cruisers, so it seems they are an item specific to our 80's.

Thanks!!

DougM

We will be pulling a travel trailer just once for a week this summer. Our other two trailers have surge brakes and so I'm bummed to have to cut into the wiring and install one for a week rental, but so be it. Can anyone suggest a specific model for me to get? I see they range in price and I would like to buy an inexpensive one since I will literally remove it and most likely never use it again. Informationally, it is a once in a lifetime chance to camp with my folks in their 80s and we are renting a travel trailer for a week in Utah for this occasion. We are experienced tow-ers with easily 15,000 miles of towing with the 80.

Any thoughts? I thought about Craig's List for a used one, but some of the sites I've searched for new ones indicate that not all units work on my Cruisers, so it seems they are an item specific to our 80's.

Thanks!!

DougM

Cheapest will be a time delayed controller. The proportionals are better but also more money.

None of them will be plug and play in our trucks. Youll have to splice a wire at the brake pedal for the brake signal, run a power wire to the controller from the battery, run a ground back to the battery and run a wire to a 7 way plug at the hitch that will activate the brakes. And an auto reset circuit breaker between the battery and controller.

Install isnt too bad but youll have wires left in the truck unless remove it all afterwards.

Online search for a Prodigy. I've had one for years in my 80 and am very happy with it.

If you're not going to use the brake controller after this trip get something cheap. Here's what I have on my 80- http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47284...=8-1&keywords=Reliance™+Digital+Brake+Control

It's not fancy but it works. I've towed a 25' travel trailer and my Adventure Trailer and it's worked fine. Since I've gotten the Adventure Trailer I've been towing much more than I ever planned when I installed my controller and I would like to upgrade to the Tekonsha but if you're only going to use it on this one trip the Reliance will be ok.

Nate,

How was the wiring side? I ask because this one doesn't say anything about a wiring harness in the box.

Tx, DougM

Nate,

How was the wiring side? I ask because this one doesn't say anything about a wiring harness in the box.

Tx, DougM

I think I may have spent an hour or two wiring everything up. There are only four wires for the controller- positive and negative from the battery, a wire you tap into the brake light wire, and the wire that carries the brake signal back to the trailer. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/47285.pdf And I used a wire adapter similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47205-4-Wire-Flat-Adapter/dp/B0002Q7C1C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2 http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.c...-wire_flat_to_7_rv_blade_plastic_adapter.html - to convert from the stock 4 pin plug to a 7 pin plug. The hardest part of installing the 7 pin plug was running a wire from the battery back to the plug to charge the trailer battery. I just used an alligator clip to connect the power wire to the battery so I can easily unplug it to avoid draining my battery when I'm parked for a few days. With this set up I can still use the 4 pin plug when I need to without having to use an additional adapter.

xlnt!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom