Trailer brake controller - brake switch wire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 100 series

Sanity check me please. Trailer brake controller red wire should be connected to green with white stripe at the tail lamp/brake light switch? This is how I have mine connected, it’s soldiered, I just inspected this connection and all appears well. *plan on checking voltage readings with DVM tomorrow, but it’s cramped quarters trying to acces and troubleshoot this so wanted to run this by the community in advance.

I’ve had a trailer brake controller for ~7 years now, did the install myself. Recently pulling the trailer it seemed like it wasn’t braking when I pressed the pedal, and it wasn’t.

My brake controller has troubleshooting mode, and when looking at brake pedal active it’s showing around 6 volts. Seems low…. Contacted brake controller manufacturer and yup, it would need to see at least 8-9 volts to activate. Controller appears to be healthy…
Controller sees 12-14 volts at other function tests.
Manual override on controller works fine, can lock all 4 trailer tires if I want to.

Caveat…. I did install LED tail lamps a couple years back. Also had to install special relay to slow down pulses on turn signals, could that have f’ed it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom