Trail Runs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It would be cool to put together another ghost camp/town run, like last year's Bass Camp run. Maybe something in between (Sweetwater/Bodie area?).

Last edited:
I moved this from the introductions thread for two reasons.
1) It is kind of off topic, not that I usually care much about that. I probably would have left it except for reason two.
2) We select trail runs at the monthly meeting, so the people that show up make the choices of runs we make as a club. Since the only people showing up for meetings have been the guys with built FJ40's the trail selections have been biased toward trails suitable for those rigs.

My point is if club members want to do different types runs they need to show up for the meetings and get involved with the run selection process.

Of course anyone is always welcome to use this forum to organize ad lib runs.

It would be cool to put together another ghost camp/town run, like last year's Bass Camp run. Maybe something in between (Sweetwater/Bodie area?).

We are running Barney Riley at the end of the month(august). Lots of mining in that area just no ghostage towns. Run is good for stock rigs plus.

I am hoping one of you can help me. I am trying to find out about a trail off of High way 4 called sour grass trail. I can't find it on any of my maps. Maybe some of the members of BBCNN could help me out.
Thanks for whatever help you give.

I am hoping one of you can help me. I am trying to find out about a trail off of High way 4 called sour grass trail. I can't find it on any of my maps. Maybe some of the members of BBCNN could help me out.
Thanks for whatever help you give.

From Places to wheel in No.Cal
The Sour Grass trail is a few miles off Hwy 4. In the town of Dorrington
take the Boards Crossing Road turn off. Follow the main road through a
residential section and then down the mountain to the Stanislaus River.
There is a bridge crossing the river. On the other side of the bridge on
the left is a washed out camp ground. At the camp ground is the trail head
for Sour Grass. This trail is only 2 miles in and does not go through.

Also described at CA Hwy. 4 Trails
Located between Arnold and Camp Connell on Highway 4, is Boards Crossing Road which winds down to the Stanislaus River and the Sour Grass recreation area and campground. The Sour Grass 4WD trail has been adopted by the Gettin' Off 4WD Club from Milpitas, CA. The trail is approx. 2.5 miles long and rates at about 2 on a 1-4 scale. A stock T-100 made it up with a little guiding after kissing a few rocks on cross members underneath and full-sized pickups with campers have reportedly made it up. It consists of a narrow dirt road along the river bottom, with a few rocky ledges, several creek crossings and some secluded camping sites.
GPS: N38 19 18.2 W120 12 56.6

Also referred to as "pine needle trail" so I've heard!!
This is becoming a hot topic here on mud :)

I would be down for a Sweetwater-Bodie run.

The "Sourgrass trail trail is a short and sweet one, with only one mildly technical section. A little climb out of a creek. We dragged a stock LX470 through but blew up the fancy suspension control thingy.

ken

450 DUDE said:
I would be down for a Sweetwater-Bodie run.

The "Sourgrass trail trail is a short and sweet one, with only one mildly technical section. A little climb out of a creek. We dragged a stock LX470 through but blew up the fancy suspension control thingy.

ken

WHO are you?!?!

:flipoff: :lol:

We are running Barney Riley at the end of the month(august). Lots of mining in that area just no ghostage towns. Run is good for stock rigs plus.

[strike]
With the flows on the East Fork way down, I might even get away without a SCUBA mod (move the breathers up higher)... but I rather not risk it. Breather relocation kit on order....[/strike]

Last edited:
I was looking up some info on Barney Riley trail and the hot springs. I ran across some posts on Reno4x4 and Pirate4x4 that indicated that the north side of the river at the hot springs is closed to motorized traffic and all river crossings are illegal. Seems a lot of folks don't know (or the information I found was incorrect)... guess a call to the ranger station might be in order.

I did read an article in the local paper that the USFS is considering putting up (more) camping/use restrictions at the hot springs due to a few idiots abuse of the area. Though I am sure the rafters and others are partially to blame, the 4x4 pickups that got stuck in the river last year really made us look bad.

-- Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom