Toyota 2SDK7 2J 4cyl 2.5 Skidsteer Hard to start in colder weather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cranks over with a fully charged battery-takes a long time after glow plugs turned on(45 seconds) and throttle 7/8 forward. Has to grind for long time before blue smoke/white ignition follows and seems to hit on two-three cyl. b4 warm up and complete w/four cyl. firing.
New item for me-never owned a diesel-what/where should I start checking for solution.
Running #1 diesel fuel with lucas conditioner--fully charged 14.2 volt HD battery full/charge--all hyd. & engine oils fully changed w/new filters. This only happens in colder (20--30degee) weather-in a un-heated garage. Unit has a block heater installed in radiator hose-don't think it works. Antifreeze is new and set for -40 F. Any or all help/suggestions/comments from any now or previous diesel owners accepted........Cranky

just kind of the nature of the beast, we have on e at work that does the same thing, hates starting when its 50 or less out and if its going to snow it gets parked inside. i just park it near an outlet or siomewhere i can get an extension cord and use the battery charger in start mode to get it to crank over.

maybe try backing the throttle down a bit, i usually start it at about 1/4-1/2 throttle and unless i dont glow plug it long enough itll start right up. could have a bad glow plug or two causing a hard start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom