1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing a 40 with an FJ?

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by 76FJ40, Aug 26, 2006.

1. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

My '05 Taco with the towing package did a great job of towing my 40 on a trailer. Unfortunately, my commute changed and I had to trade the Taco for a Prius. Has anyone had experience towing a 40 on a trailer (1,500#) behind an FJ? My wife's FJ has the same drive train as my Taco but it also has a shorter wheelbase.

2. hotumps

hotumps

5000 pound towing capacity

According to the manual you can tow up to 5000 pounds. Anything over 3500 lbs. I would use a stabilizer (load leveler) hitch to knock out any sway. Load leveler hitches also put more weight on the front wheels of the tow vehicle. :cool:

3. saskdiesel

saskdiesel

I would not tow my 40 with a rig that small. But then again I wouldn't tow my 40 behind a Taco either.
    A 4000 lb 40 sitting on 2000 of trailer + tools and camping equipment. Thats why I bought a Super Duty Ford I guess.

This much weight will kill a light duty tranny.

4. tlcruiserman

tlcruiserman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure if you are talking flat towing or on a trailer. I can tell you that a 40 series on a trailer is over 5k. I tow my 70 series on a 16' trailer and it is closer to 7k (that is a good safety margin for towing). I have towed my 70 with a gasser 80 series with TRD super charger on it, and I would say it worked however not as well as a 100 series or diesel 80 series both of those are rated for 7k (the gas 80 series was rated for 5k).

The FJ is very short to be towing a 16' trailer and 5k and up, it would not be the safest thing to do, and I would not recomend at all or on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Michael

5. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
  6. k9crazy

k9crazy K9CRZ SILVER Star

I've seen it done. One of the guys at GSMTR pulled his 40 with his lifted FJC. I think he came from Florida all the way to Tellico. So it will do it. Although I do agree that the load is pretty heavy and there's danger of damage.

7. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

I may buy a short, light trailer that I've borrowed before to tow with my Dcab Taco. The Taco pulled it fine so I'm not worried about the drive train, just the shorter wheelbase of the FJ. Thanks for the input.

Greytandy - I usually drive my 40 to Paragon and RC but I'm always worried that I'll break something and not be able to drive it home. The one time I happened to tow it to Paragon I managed to twist off my rear driveshaft - sure was glad I had a trailer!

8. Yoda1

Yoda1

I tow a 19ft 4200 lb boat and have had no issues .

9. OFRD_GRL

OFRD_GRL

i tow my horse trailer behind the FJ and it ROCKS at towing IMO.

the trailer is 2400lbs... the horse is 1100lbs.... and then theres some gear and stuff...
    i forget the length of the trailer 14ft maybe?

10. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    It aint a Ford Super Duty!

Zack

11. saskdiesel

saskdiesel

Exactly.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">