1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOTALLY NEW TO COMMS AND NAV, NEED PURCHASE ADVISE

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by silverhorse, Apr 17, 2017.

1. silverhorse

silverhorse

Need some advise on what to buy? So I plan to get into overlanding in the Southeast U.S. I'll be traveling to places I have never been with my younger(all under 9) children.. Safety and being able to communicate in an emergency are top priority. I have been offroading 30 years but I have NO experience with comms or nav, other than my cell phone and Garmin... :) any advice is greatly appreciated on what to purchase!!

thanks, Bill

NW Florida

2. FJ60Seth

FJ60Seth SILVER Star

There is no equal to a sat phone.

3. Dharma Dude

Dharma Dude

Satellite phones work pretty much everywhere. They cost alot; the plans cost alot.
    I would consider this: Garmin Delorme Inreach
    Global reach, texting, GPS tracking and pay-by-the-month plans.
    Can also find the older model for a bit cheaper.

4. silverhorse

silverhorse

thanks guys! I think the sat phone and Inreach would be good options! In addition to those items, I dont have a radio.. anything i can install there for nav or comm?

5. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you wheel or travel with other vehicles in a group? If so, get what they're using.

If you're solo, a ham radio will give you better range than a cb and access to repeaters, but you need a license to operate one. The license is easy to get though. Lots of bands and options there; some you can talk around the world on - but most folks start out on the 2 Meters band, and lots of clubs and runs are moving to 2 Meters from cb for their trail comm.

silverhorse likes this.
  6. silverhorse

silverhorse

I'm usually solo in state or national parks...

7. silverhorse

silverhorse

Btw, what are repeaters?

8. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    Repeaters are ham radios, fixed in one place, that automatically re-broadcast any signals they pick up on their specific frequency, so that the range of communication is greatly increased. The VHF and UHF ham bands are generally line-of-sight communication, so if the repeater antenna if high up (on a mountain, or a tall tower), then line-of-sight to and from it is much farther than from one ground station to another.

Out west, it is fairly common to have many of them tied together in a network so that you could communicate all over a whole state and possibly farther. Most repeaters are on the 2M and 70cm bands, but there are some on other bands too.

9. DirtScaresMe

DirtScaresMe Trouble Maker SILVER Star

I'd have:

A CB because lots of other folks have them. Mine also has weather radio channels.

Delorme/garmin inreach, get the nice plans for the months you're out and about.

An att or verizon phone.

10. Izzyandsue

Izzyandsue Izzy SILVER Star

I recommend some researching reading this link. Its the boyscout radio training class and I found it very useful and easy to follow:
    Radio Merit Badge Resources

Learn all you can about HAM radio as it will give you the largest range and ability to communicate, second to sat phone or sat phone/cellphone hybrid. Then test out for the license and get a good rig radio. HAM radios can carry a lot more power than others, and therefore have longer range. Many of the parks have repeaters on high places, so you can typically get out even if on a valley or obstructed.

11. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO a sat phone would be overkill in the SE US. That area should have good cell coverage and excellent HAM repeater coverage.

Izzyandsue likes this.
  12. Izzyandsue

Izzyandsue Izzy SILVER Star

I agree, sat phone is overkill for the area. However, I am looking for a good excuse to get one of these and use it overseas:
    SatSleeve for iPhone

Its a great concept, prices are still a bit high, but competition bringing them down.

rusty_tlc likes this.
  13. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There are many areas in the western US where a sat phone would be useful.

Tags: