Torque Steer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Retro... we're both getting there.

Not sure what you mean by welded/locked but the 'steer' does appear to be coming from the rear.

Sometimes on built up trail trucks, the owner will weld the rear end. This is a 'poor man's locker'. I.e. the vehicle's rear axle is permanently locked. It means that when turning, the rear wheels rotate the same even though their circular paths are different. It causes the rear to 'scrub' and can result in pushing the front making it difficult to steer.

I don't think this would be your entire issue, but would explain part of it if true.

Does the truck have selectable lockers on it? I.e. the rotary switch to the left of the steering OR ARB? It could still have an aussie locker, which would be OK too.

How to find out...
Park on level ground with the front end chocked and the back end in the air on jack stands with the parking brake off, transmission in park and the transfer case in gear.
Grab the rear tire on one side and turn it. If the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction, the rear end is not locked.

If it will not turn, double check your wheel chocks on the front then put the transfer case in neutral. Try turning the tire. If the opposite tire now turns in the same direction of travel as the one you are turning, then it is locked.

IMHO YMMV -I'm not a mechanic.

....If the opposite tire now turns in the same direction of travel as the one you are turning, then it is locked.
It has an LSD in the rear so both wheels rotate in the same direction when up on axle stands, I guess there may be the possibility that the LSD has sized :eek:

I'm beginning to think that it may be due to the steep angles of the panhards. I believe that they are supposed to be almost horizontal, as you can see from the photo of the rear, the panhard is probably 30 degrees out from the horizontal plane so, as the car pitches from power to breaking it is going to move the axle laterally and so I'm having to compensate with the steering.... or am I talking rubbish :confused:

rearsuspension.jpg

It has an LSD in the rear so both wheels rotate in the same direction when up on axle stands.

I'm beginning to think that it may be due to the steep angles of the panhards. I believe that they are supposed to be almost horizontal, as you can see from the photo of the rear, the panhard is probably 30 degrees out from the horizontal plane so, as the car pitches from power to breaking it is going to move the axle laterally and so I'm having to compensate with the steering.... or am I talking rubbish :confused:

rearsuspension.jpg

I bet you are right on that. I also imagine that the issue is significantly larger now than when it was first built due to the springs and shocks softening over time.

I bet you are right on that. I also imagine that the issue is significantly larger now than when it was first built due to the springs and shocks softening over time.
Yup, when I brought it I had to shorten the panhard as the axle was sitting a half inch to the left.

I might remove the 3" spring spacers and drop the LC down, this will hopefully bring the panhards more into line and maybe correct the castor.

Also the shocks are supposed to be 5-way adjustable the fronts are fine but the rears only do two clicks... I'll junk them and replace them all with OME units, I fitted OME springs and shocks on my Patrol which totally transformed the old truck from the standard ones :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom