Top hat stuck to shock mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same struggle but resolution was simple - slide hammer. Don't even bother trying any other way and head out to parts store to rent one.
Slide hammers also make CV removal much easier. It's worth buying one to keep around if you DIY wrench on these rigs.

What I thought would be a 6 hour job turn into all day and will continue tomorrow. The passenger shock mount it stuck to the shock top mount. I tried rust penetrate, heat and it won’t come out. I was fight if it for awhile, so I thought I would remove the top hat bolt and remove the spring and stock. After the top hat bolt removed spring and shock removed easily. I’m still fight the top hat any suggestions would be great thank you.

View attachment 2888123

View attachment 2888124

View attachment 2888125
Having this literal exact same problem right now and ruining my week ahead… I did not plan on this

Still haven’t solved in my end. Lots of people talking about hitting from above - there is no space… so maybe I will have to deconstruct my bumped. lol

Slide hammers also make CV removal much easier. It's worth buying one to keep around if you DIY wrench on these rigs.
But sledge hammer how? Wedging something between the top hat and the strut? Confused where the leverage is

My solution to this problem was to create a slide hammer with the old shock itself. After soaking it in PB Blaster, I reinstalled the shock with no spring using just the washer + screw on top (no bushing) and put a screw through the LCA. Stomped on the LCA about a dozen times and the top hat came right out.

Shock is going in the bin so I didn’t care about subjecting it to expansion forces

I’m reusing the top hat for a Stage 1 Eibach lift, so it didn’t want to mess it up by hammering on it.
Ah this is an amazing idea. Will try this next.

But sledge hammer how? Wedging something between the top hat and the strut? Confused where the leverage is
One of these...awesome for CVs and other stuff. Another poster indicted they used it not he top hat/strut....which I have not used it for.

One of these...awesome for CVs and other stuff. Another poster indicted they used it not he top hat/strut....which I have not used it for.
Woah - that is good to know about

Though I hope it doesn’t come to that for me on this job. We’ll see.

Woah - that is good to know about

Though I hope it doesn’t come to that for me on this job. We’ll see.
Well for those who might be curious, finally got mine out after hours. Not 100% sure the straw that broke camels back - I was soaking whole thing in WD40 and PB for hours, and reattached shock only to pull on, tried lots of banking around w mallet.

When it finally broke free I took a relatively thin flathead and just wedge hammered it for about 15 hard strikes between the top hat and the strut housing. In fact there was a glimmer of daylight almost like it was designed for a wedge tool of sorts… a little bent and chipped but seems to be working fine on the new stuff :)

Just an update. I tried pulling the entire strut. That did not work. Then I removed the lower spring and shock from the top hat and used a puller and penetrating oil. That did not work. Then tried a chisel between the top hat and strut support. That did not work. I would have swore the the top hat was welded to the strut support. In fact, I was ready to give up. Finally used heat on it. After heat, I used the chisel and placed it at a tab location on the top hat to try to rotate/twist the top hat from the strut support. Top hat popped right off. Used this technique on the other side. Top hat came right off. I guess heat was the key. Thanks to all the post and discussion. Just a reminder, I used anti-seize on the new top hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom