Too much rust? LX from the East Coast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 8, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
6
Location
Minneapolis
Looking at an early LX 570 with great service history but having some second thoughts after seeing some pictures of the underbody....

Am I crazy or does it seem like it's been painted to conceal the rust? Or maybe it's just some sort of anti-rust sealant?

Would really appreciate any and all insight!

received_26897405443231279.webp


received_1822908158667343.webp


received_1484363469836879.webp


Screenshot_20260509-231304.webp


received_1453018542705748.webp
 
Definitely had something applied to the underside and is concealing some rust but tough to tell how extensive it was. The AHC auspension is vunerable to rust so personally Id keep looking for a cleaner one. Some surface rust can be managed. Noting the missing engine covers under the hood though it looks like it might not have not been maintained that well. Any maintenance records?
 
Definitely had something applied to the underside and is concealing some rust but tough to tell how extensive it was. The AHC auspension is vunerable to rust so personally Id keep looking for a cleaner one. Some surface rust can be managed. Noting the missing engine covers under the hood though it looks like it might not have not been maintained that well. Any maintenance records?
Service history is solid.

Oil changes every 5-7k
Ahc fluid at 60k (it's at 150k-ish atm so slightly over due for another)
Transmission flush at 130k
Coolant at 100k and 150k
New alternator at 140k

After doing some further digging though I found that it had an ahc line rust through about 3 years ago - they replaced the line and the owner sold it not long after.
So at this point I'm thinking heavy rust that's been covered up with the spray.

Now that I look closer, seems like they sprayed the radiator and hood latch to hide the rust there as well....


Probs gonna move on unfortunately.
 
See if you can pull off that middle cover and look around for pink. Other wise that undercarriage is fine
 
Looks like a lanolin product like Fluid Film or woolwax has been applied. From the limited pictures of the frame it looks fine. Real tell is the condition of the fuel tank skid, which rusts first. Do you have a picture of that?
 
Doesn't look like a paint job. Agree with @stonepa that it might be Fluid Film or Woolwax or something similar.

Need to get it up on a lift to get a better look.

AHC lines are prone to rust as far as I know so I wouldn't necessarily use that issue to generalize as to the rest of the undercarriage.
 
Service history is solid.

Oil changes every 5-7k
Ahc fluid at 60k (it's at 150k-ish atm so slightly over due for another)
Transmission flush at 130k
Coolant at 100k and 150k
New alternator at 140k

After doing some further digging though I found that it had an ahc line rust through about 3 years ago - they replaced the line and the owner sold it not long after.
So at this point I'm thinking heavy rust that's been covered up with the spray.

Now that I look closer, seems like they sprayed the radiator and hood latch to hide the rust there as well....


Probs gonna move on unfortunately.
Keep looking :)
 
Back
Top Bottom