Tires in 2019: Anything better than KO2s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyo AT2s suuuuuuuuck. It's one of the oldest AT tires on the market and it shows. I won't say who, but I know someone here who shredded at least 2 if not 3 of them at LCDC last year. Just don't do it - likely the worst option of everything mentioned here. And yes, I've run them too for about 3 months.

Very surprised in the negative comments to the Toyo AT II. I have over 30k miles on mine and have wheeled them in every condition. Even handles the snow and ice storms without any issue. With that said, I am very careful and cautious when it comes to ice, but I am the neighborhood taxi when when we have snow/ice. Of course they aren’t great in mud, but I try to avoid mud. I have never been stuck or needed a winch with my Toyo AT II. I run trails pretty hard and have never had any sort of sidewall damage or leak/blow out.

No clue what happened at LCDC to the Toyos last year, but mine were just fine running those trails.

KO2s are garbage for off-road travel on a 200 Series. I have been there, done it, see others do it and struggle and I will never do it again. I currently have 12k miles on my Yokohama Geolandar g003s (305/70/18) great tire so far in deep snow, mud, slick muddy roads, and ice. They are very quiet on the highway for such an aggressive tread as well (just finished a ~6k mile road trip). I will run these on all my other cruisers when they need new kicks.

After reading all this feedback, thinking of running 285/75/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on the 200 -

Falken's site says the tread width of the 285/75 is 11.1" versus the 285/70 is 11.6" - in theory even if almost an inch taller, being slightly narrower seems like there might be less chance for rubbing. I'm on the 2.5" ICON lift and have aftermarket UCAs - would any of you have any significant concerns about rubbing? "It's just an inch", he said...

"It's just an inch", he said...

Sounds more like "that's what she said" 🤣

I ran that size on my 14 with Rock Warriors and the KDSS relocation, and it definitely still rubbed on the front sway bar at full turn but was acceptable. It was aligned at Slee to reduce rubbing as much as possible by adjusting the UCAs, but it definitely still had some rub.

Yes, depends on wheel offset as to where it will rub, but they will rub. Nothing to be scared of though.

KO2s are garbage for off-road travel on a 200 Series. I have been there, done it, see others do it and struggle and I will never do it again. I currently have 12k miles on my Yokohama Geolandar g003s (305/70/18) great tire so far in deep snow, mud, slick muddy roads, and ice. They are very quiet on the highway for such an aggressive tread as well (just finished a ~6k mile road trip). I will run these on all my other cruisers when they need new kicks.
Wait wait wait what happened to the ProComps!!?? I swear I read in the past the same difinitive comment about the undisputed tire on the market ... but with [ProComp] inserted not Yokos. ;)

Wait wait wait what happened to the ProComps!!?? I swear I read in the past the same difinitive comment about the undisputed tire on the market ... but with [ProComp] inserted not Yokos. ;)
Don’t you have a speed bump to crush or something? Or have you moved up to dirt roads now?

Heresy!!!.... Someone burn this man at the stake stat!!!!!

Absolutely loved the Duratracs on my 4th gen 4R. Great on ice and in snow and mud. Where they fell short was sidewalk protection. I ripped the sidewalk open on some lava rock. They also wouldn’t balance quite right; wobble at 55-60. So, was set on finding something that built on the positives of the DTs.

I picked up the cruiser a couple years back when it needed new shoes. Landed on Cooper STT Pros in 285/65R18 and have been running them for the last 20k miles. I’ve been very pleased with them. They are fairly quiet still - or I just got used to them. But, my wife has never complained about the noise.

They do better in mud than the DT did, about same in snow, and probably only slightly worse on ice. And caught the sidewall on a rock hiding behind a bush in Death Valley. Lost a slight chunk on the tire rubber, but nothing worth even warrantying out through Big O’s extra protection program thingee.

Where the STT Pros are less than stellar is weight. Man, are they heavy and I pay in 2+ mpg drop relative to stock tires.

So, I’ve been looking for something better. And am aiming for 285/75R17 on evo corse wheels when the time comes. Mud performance is very important to me, with adequate siping. I also need high confidence in snow and ice. But, it doubles as my DD, so must be livable. Luckily, my commute isn’t too far work to office, so mpg isn’t a deal breaker.

I agree w Taco2Cruiser to a point - there is marginal benefit of a MT over an AT where you needn’t full swampers necessarily. Or maybe it’s just in my head. He is more methodical and experienced than I with tires.

Am going to look into the Falkens and Cooper AT3s mentioned herein, but am afraid a standard AT won’t cut it. Maybe those Yokohama are worth also perusing.

Good thing I don’t need tires any time soon.

Honestly, not sure if this thread is helping or just contributing to analysis paralysis :)

Regardless, good times!

I had cooper AT3s on before my KO2s and honistly I’ll probably go back when I’m due for summer tires. The AT3 was better in the rain and the unexpected snow before/after I took my winters off. Better on the road with less road noise. I haven’t noticed any difference off road the only advantage the KO2 has is longer life. I got -~25k miles out of the AT3 and I’m at ~20k currently and will get one more summer.

Falken Wildpeak AT/3W, Cooper Discoverer XLT, and General Grabber ATX are all newer designs than the KO2. All include a treadwear warranty as well. The Falkens and Grabbers carry the same 3-peak snow/ice rating as the KO2.

I got my '08 with Cooper Discoverers on them. We learned the hard way the tires are horrible in rain. Running in a downpour near Walsenburg, going 60mph, the Cruiser couldn't handle the rain and hydroplaned for about 3 seconds. I quickly downshifted to regain control and slowed to 50mph. We were passed by other vehicles... ugh. But they are very quiet.

How can you say no to these tires???

82044948-3c91-4240-b143-1c0129e63032-jpeg.2121248

0eb67126-01a3-4752-b791-a2cb6013a29d-jpeg.2121249
9be126e4-a083-481b-8dd8-1a6b087fa307-jpeg.2126798

7a42bbc6-9fb3-44fe-9d76-5c85089e9589-jpeg.2126869

Got K02 last week too on 20" wheel. Nice but still getting used to more noise. Definitely noticeable and really loud on some surfaces (ex. new asphalt).

Got K02 last week too on 20" wheel. Nice but still getting used to more noise. Definitely noticeable and really loud on some surfaces (ex. new asphalt).

for me, KO2 in stock size on 18” rims..... it’s quiet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom