Tire Speed Rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at GY Duratracs for my LC200. In the 275/70/18 size GY lists two versions of the tire. One is Q rated (99mph) and the other R (106mph). The only other difference I see in the specs is that one is all blackwall and the other has raised white letters on (presumably) one side of the tire.

In my other tire purchases, while I know I won't reach many of the speeds the tires are rated for (like Z or ZR rated) i have purchased the higher ratings because the cars had high torque numbers and even at a stand still putting 400-500 ft lbs of torque a higher speed rated tire will deform less (based on my understanding).

I don't expect the LC to be taking anyone off the line with 33" tires on it :) so is the speed rating a factor at all? Are these so close in rating that it's odd that GY makes two versions so similar?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

AFAIK, no, yes. HTH

I'd call the Tire Rack for some pro advice on the differences. The only tires I've seen with the Q rating are winter tires.

FYI and for future reference, feedback from Tire Rack:

"Your vehicle calls for an S or above . An R would be the closest to that so I would recommend that tire with the warning that you are slightly below the manufacuters rating . 106mph vs 112 mph"

FYI and for future reference, feedback from Tire Rack:

"Your vehicle calls for an S or above . An R would be the closest to that so I would recommend that tire with the warning that you are slightly below the manufacuters rating . 106mph vs 112 mph"

TireRack has some great generalized tire info on their site, but in this case they are just wrong.

Here is what Toyota recommends:

TRDpoopSheet1_17MAR16_zpsz1nrluhz.jpg

TRDwheelTireSize_01AUG16_zps1idk5hbn.jpg

That is a tire with a R Speed Rating.

In general, you would be OK with either the Q-Rated version or the R-Rated version, just be aware that you should drive within the limits of the tire. The Q rating is indeed 99mph, but heavily loaded in high ambient temps it would be silly to actually drive at 99mph for an extended period. Just be responsible with your speed for the conditions and you should be fine.

HTH

Sheesh, another trusted source bites the dust. I wonder what the Tire Rack used as their source of bad info. The OEM highway tires on my '17 were V rated, but know a 149mph speed rating is irrelevant for an LC!

Just wondering who would be crazy enough to drive a 200 series over 90 mph?

I’ve cruised on the highways out west at 85 mph (posted limit was 80). The truck felt rock steady and secure. Admittedly, a wreck at that speed in a vehicle as tall as the LC would ruin your whole day.

I run 90 - 110 every day when I'm running between Houston and the other major cities like Dallas or Austin - but only on wide open straight roads..... the LC runs well and is barely turning 4k with the gears and tracks well. Stock might be a whole different world but the Icons on 10 are very up to the task.... the tires are less then optimal, still evaluating a better option there....

but it runs and feels far better then my wifes FJ did at 80 or my old 100 /built...

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom